IMG_1421.JPG

500 (Classic) My little black 500...

Introduction

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and I have just bought a lovely Fiat 500 off my Dad- well, he px'd it against one of my other cars, but that's a long story.

I'm posting the car up on here, as I am complete unaware as to what it is (I know it's a 500), but that is as far as my knowledge goes I'm afraid.. I understand it has a 126 engine and gearbox as there are syncro's on every gear other than first... I believe that is a tail-tail sign?
She also has several Arbath parts, like rocker-cover, twim exhaust etc, but if anybody can point bits out for me from the photos, please feel free!

Ps. What do you think a car like this is worth? She has NO rot, and is mechanically perfect....

All the best,
Daniel
Judging by the chassis plate this is a 500R in that it left the factory with a 594cc 126 engine (motore 126 on chassis plate), 126 wheels but the 1972 UK number does cause confusion - I'm not altogether certain when the 500R first made an appearance.

Welcome to the forum Daniel, That's a great little motor you have there! Where in the UK are you? As for price, for a LHD 500R in what looks like great condition, I would estimate £5 - £6k. Any other forum members who have bought a car more recently than me, feel free to chip in if I'm off the mark.

Cheers,
Matt

Hi Matt,

I'm based in the East Midlands, Rutland to be precise. The car has not been used for the last couple of years, other than the odd trip into town. So I'm planning to recommission her by changing the oil etc, and then get ready to do some miles next year.

Any recommendations for local-ish car shows etc would be great.

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and I have just bought a lovely Fiat 500 off my Dad- well, he px'd it against one of my other cars, but that's a long story.

I'm posting the car up on here, as I am complete unaware as to what it is (I know it's a 500), but that is as far as my knowledge goes I'm afraid.. I understand it has a 126 engine and gearbox as there are syncro's on every gear other than first... I believe that is a tail-tail sign?
She also has several Arbath parts, like rocker-cover, twim exhaust etc, but if anybody can point bits out for me from the photos, please feel free!

Anyway, here are a couple of snaps of her...

Ps. What do you think a car like this is worth? She has NO rot, and is mechanically perfect....

All the best,
Daniel

Hi Daniel, Welcome indeed.
According to my records your car was built in 1972 as a 500R with a 594cc engine, the chassis build numbers run from 5096796 to 5104051 for this year with 7255 built. I note from your pic that the top of the data plate has been trimmed to fit, so it has been moved at some time - probably during restoration. The original colour code is Fiat Dark Coral Red (code 165) used between 1971 and 1976, you can see the
original colour to the right of the data plate. You should confirm the engine number against the data plate and your V5. Tidy looking car - enjoy the 500 experience (y)(y)(y)
Ian.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum---tidy little car you have there. Don't let it gather dust--use it. Difficult to value in the UK due to (a) she is LHD and (b) the 500R was never officially brought into the UK. However, I would agree that £5-6000 would seem like a sensible figure. Look at the carb--what size is the Weber? The 500R models had a small carb (24IMB if I remember correctly) fitted to slow them down! When fitted with the same carb as the Mk1 '126', due to their lower weight, they were quicker than the '126', which was not what Fiat wanted to hear. A good, small, upgrade on the 500R is to fit the Mk2 Weber (28IMB). If you do fit the '28' you might have to fit some form of fuel re-circulation as the '28' has an 'in' and ab 'out' at the top of the carb.

Back