General my GP after a bit of a clean and polish... oh, and a debadge!

Currently reading:
General my GP after a bit of a clean and polish... oh, and a debadge!

minnnt

Black GP Sporting
A few weeks ago now we had a week away in Dorset, and the weather was somewhat, poo... so, as you can imagine, 220 miles there, and the same back, plus driving around all week and then for another week after we got back you can imagine what the car looked like, it was grey rather than black! I just gave it a quick wash (about 3 hours! lol) and this had to do until i could spend a bit more time on it. So, last weekend i was at work, and seeing as i work for the local council, i get to do it at work! ( :p ) The car wasn't really that dirty, but i still spend a good couple of hours on the washing and drying stage... then proceeded with a coat of auto glym EGP as i just wanted to perk up the finish as it has had layers and layers of wax and polish added over the last couple of months. So, this done, i was really impressed, moved onto dress the tyres with AG ITD and i was pretty impressed with my work. Anyway, met a mate last night who had recently been to america on holiday and said that all the megs stuff was cheap as chips, literally!! so i asked him nicely to get me a few bits. he only got me some QD and some tyre gel, but also got me some new bits like a mahoosive bath towel size MF drying towel and a wheel MF with a mesh bit on and then a 20 pack of MF towels. he also got me a proper sheepskin mitt, which has performed great! i had never used a drying towel, so i was impressed with this too! the wheel cleaner mitt was good too!

so, unfortunately no befores although i did think i had some on my phone but seem to have disappeared! :( the pics are taken on my phone so not exactly the best quality, but gives you a pretty good idea of what the overall finish is! :D

i also debadged the boot lid (Punto) and i reckon it looks loads better! :D

DSC00061-1.jpg

DSC00065-1.jpg

DSC00066-1.jpg

DSC00067.jpg

Megs hot shine tyre gel

DSC00072-1.jpg

DSC00073-1.jpg

DSC00074.jpg

DSC00075.jpg

a bit of flake popping!

DSC00077.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

DSC00085.jpg

some arty ones... :D

DSC00086.jpg

DSC00087.jpg

DSC00088.jpg

DSC00068-1.jpg

interior after a quick hoover...

DSC00078.jpg

DSC00080.jpg

and the day after i applied the EGP... a bit of beading. is it any good though?

DSC00054-1.jpg

DSC00055-1.jpg

questions and comments welcome, and of course, the all important advice is welcome too! :D

cheers, david.

lol... yeah i liked it too, and i couldn't decide whether or not to, but i bit the bullet and did it! lol. :D

lol... yeah i liked it too, and i couldn't decide whether or not to, but i bit the bullet and did it! lol. :D

black GPS ??high maintenance to keep on top of they look stunning for a short time especially at night.as for debadge thing i like the punto logo its very funky and original in my opinion.p.s my car looks like that all the time.......????????????:p lazy person you are blasphemy leaving it that long:p :p :p :p :p

It looks cracking (y) nice and glossy like a black car should be :D

I like the punto badge, think it's a shame to remove it :eek:

It looks really smart! I would love to remove the Punto badge from the tailgate myself.What keeps it on,is it just glued on and will come off after a few minutes with a hair dryer? Did it need anything doing to the paint underneath? Any tips welcome!

It looks really smart! I would love to remove the Punto badge from the tailgate myself.What keeps it on,is it just glued on and will come off after a few minutes with a hair dryer? Did it need anything doing to the paint underneath? Any tips welcome!

hiya mate, yeah its just stuck on with some 3m foam stuff... i used the hair dryer and some dental floss to pull the letters off. then gave it a wash, then used some meguiars clay to remove any other bits of sticky crap left on, then gave it a quick layer of wax and finally a layer of AG EGP.

in the previous debadge thread i always said i didn't want to remove it, but then i did, and it looks stunning imo. :)

ssssssshhhhhhhhhiiiiinnnnnnnyyyyyy or what?!?! :eek: very nice matey i might invest in some expensive polish/wax to see if its any better than the cheap (but good) stuff i use.

ssssssshhhhhhhhhiiiiinnnnnnnyyyyyy or what?!?! :eek: very nice matey i might invest in some expensive polish/wax to see if its any better than the cheap (but good) stuff i use.

it will be better mate. :) visit the detailing world website for more help and tips. :)

Looks stunning, very nice indeed... question though... I love washing my car but hate (and I mean hate!) washing the wheels on the 1.9, they are a pain in the a***... do you have any tips on cleaning them?

A very proud (& justifiably so) owner. Great job but the black will drive you nuts - I've had 5 black cars over the years - never again! Best of luck;)

By the way, IMHO the fastest way of dressing tyres & exterior plastics is by using a Silicon spray (Armourall etc.). It takes literally seconds - but for God's sake don't use it on the interior plastics unless you want your car to look like it's just been prepared by Honest John's Bargain Motors!

Last edited:
Looks stunning, very nice indeed... question though... I love washing my car but hate (and I mean hate!) washing the wheels on the 1.9, they are a pain in the a***... do you have any tips on cleaning them?

yes they're a nightmare matey!!! you could always buy a soft wheel brush from halfrauds or one of the many online detailing sites. or even ebay, that should make it easier.

also, you could try waxing the wheels, then the next time you come to clean them they should be alot easier to clean. also, APC (all purpose cleaner) cleans them pretty well and they shouldn't be acid based like many of the wheel cleaners which could damage your wheels.

as for the silicon spray, i dont rate it. it don't seem to last and goes all over the wheels. and as for owning a black car, it depends on whether you like detailing or not, me personally, i love it, so it's a pleasure to have black as it looks the best colour of any when clean, but yes, it does only seem to last a day at the most. lol.

de badgeing

does the punto badge leave holes and if not do i just heat the badge up with a hair dryer and peel the badge off thanks

Re: de badgeing

cheers do just heat it up and just peel them off thanks

Back