I05C8061.jpg

128 My Fiat 128 Sedan Circuit Car

Introduction

Some photos of my 1978 Fiat 128 4 door Sedan Race Car.
Mods Include:

X1/9 1500 SOHC, bored to 88mm with Iapel forged pistons (1560cc)
Tipo 1600 8 valve head flowed to 170HP + (40mm inlet valves modified chambers)
Redline inlet manifold with 42DCOE weber sidedrafts
12.8:1 Compression ratio, PBS double valve springs
Lotus PH3 hybrid camgrind (0.430" lift, 290 duration)
Balanced and cracktested bottom end
PBS baffle plate
PBS oil pressure relief valve
Custom thermostat controlled oil cooler
Lynchbuilt 4 into 2 into 1 equal length mandrel bent extractors
X19 5 speed gearset
128 gearbox housings
Uno Turbo selector mechanism
Phil Buggee Limited Slip Differential
Dunlop D02V race rubber
Coilover suspension (front)
5 leaf reset main leaf (rear)
2" Lynchbuilt Mandrel bent exhaust
Mazda Familia Dohc Turbo calipers and rotors

Full rollcage with lots of extra bracing
too many mods to list.

scorpy4.jpg

I05C0880.jpg

I05C8061.jpg

560A1596.JPG
If there is one car I always drool over it's the 128 in ANY form - I wish I had this one the most!

Hey guys - sorry, havent been on here in ages.
The last horsepower figure i had on the dyno was very average - 110HP @ the front wheels, but pulled the engine down shortly after to find a bent conrod due to a leaking steel shim head gasket.

Thankfully - due to the strength of Fiat's engine blocks etc etc, it held together and still revved to 7000RPM.

Now that its back together and running happily, i have run it easily to 8500RPM in first second and third, and 8000RPM in top (using standard 128 gear ratio's in a 4 speed gearbox).

It will brake for the hairpin at pukekohe park raceway from 200kph from 80 metres comfortably.

Lexan side windows, and front spoiler on there way very shortly.
A friend of mine recently had his fiat 128 1500 dyno'd at 150BHP @ the front wheels.

Its a bit of a bugger guys ..

Last race meeting (march 30th 2008) i ran at Pukekohe Park Raceway .. car ran like a charm, setting the fastest lap times its ever run (pulling 215kph top speed, and podium finishes) then missed a gear, and gave it an over rev (roughly 11000RPM).

It seemed fine, and ran very fast lap times, then later on in the day it dropped the head off an exhaust valve, and has damaged the bore, so the block is throwaway. Fortunately the cylinder head can be rewelded and chambers reshaped, but its a bit messy.

Ill let you know when i have this motor rebuilt in about 2 months time.
i will run it in on the dyno as well to get some figures.

I used to have a 128, fitted with a 1600 it used to pump out similar figures from 100 to 120 bhp :D It gave way to rust, so it had to go unfortunately...
But while it was driving, oh the power and adrenaline, no new car can ever come close to that...

Its a shame that u knackered the engine..thats why I had a rev limiter, since these engines will turn like mad...wont stop even if it means damage..sadly.
If u need to source a new 1.6 block...I might be able to help, send a pm.
Once more, sad to see the engine gone.

Last edited:
Luckily i have a few spare blocks, and my new engine is already underway - sourced a new forged piston, new valves, had my cylinder head welded and reshaped, and well into it.

I use the 1500 block because it is alot stronger around the crank tunnel, and the 1600's have a tendency to throw conrods when revved hard.

OK for street use, not really desirable for racing.

After 4 months, i have the engine rebuilt, and back in the car, ready for action next weekend.

Dyno figures pumped out 160 flywheel horsepower, and 155Nm of torque from 3500rpm through to redline on a flat torque curve.

I managed to tweak a bit more compression on this one (just on 12.3:1 with 0.060" exhaust valve clearance, and 0.074" intake valve clearance, and 0.038" piston to head clearance).

Heres some pics of motor, and car :)

Now to see what it goes like ! if i get similar figures on the track ill be stoked.

The rebuild ended up being ..
1 new forged piston
1 set of new rings
1 (steel) conrod
1 block
full gaskets
rev limiter
1 set stainless oversized valves
new PBS valve springs

Attachments

• Fiatbay.jpg
    Fiatbay.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 206
  • Pic(043).jpg
    Pic(043).jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 190
  • Pic(061).jpg
    Pic(061).jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 187
Shes all sorted now ;) new motor is in and running - 160hp at front treads, 155Nm of torque from 3500RPM through to 8000RPM, peak power at 6800RPM.

It feels good, and drives strong !

Ill get some new incar footage soon i promise.

Back