Technical My Cinquecento Project

Currently reading:
Technical My Cinquecento Project

markf

My Cinq has been off the road for a number of years due to failed engine core plugs which I never got around to replacing. I am now determined to get it cleaned up, fixed up and back on the road!

First (of probably many) question - I have decided to swap the standard engine for a 1242 8v (60) from a Punto. Are these engines identical between the Mk1 Punto and the Mk2? The Mk2 engines are much easier to get hold of!

I've just looked up what the 866 cam is, but what does 'narrow wall' mean? Is this something you have for sale?

The Punto 75 had thicker castings for the block to make them stronger (over engineered) the 60 and 60S 1242cc 8V had the narrower block walls making them a good 10Kg lighter wet.

The engine itself was fitted to my Panda 4x4 with a pair of TDM850 carb's and distributor. I had to chop the crank sensor lug to make it fit (the Panda had a front valance brace in the way) so it will need repairs (cable ties to hold the crank sensor in place pretty much) and a good service.

If you are thinking of doing a turbo conversion later then you need the stronger thicker walled 75 block but if you're staying naturally aspirated the 60S is more than strong enough.

Cam's are usually £40-60 so how does £50 for the whole engine sound?

Staying off topic. ;)

Keep an eye on my built vs bought thread as I will have a Fiat FIRE powered drift car to take round there in the near-ish future. ;)

Back