saxo2.jpg

My Chav Charriot

Introduction

Well picked up this Saxo VTR about a week ago. A 1997 Saxo VTR. Comments?

saxo2.jpg
Status
Not open for further replies.
tbf his vts is nicer in person then his crappy pics (y)
and yer the vts is 120bhp 1.6 16v and the vtr is like 98 1.6 8v aint it?
same engines as in the 106 gti and rallye?

looks sweet tho, when you gettin some angel eyes and some m3 mirrors :p

This is the 90bhp model, the later ones came with 98bhp. Angel eyes and M3 mirrors :eek:

infractions may be given out if people keep slagging fiats on a fiat forum

As dirty harry said "Go Ahead, Make my Day" :D

Also ruined by the makers...... have you seen one in a crash? jesus wept its scary, id have a cage in one if i got one:eek:

Oh yeah they're not a car to have a high speed crash in but nothing much made 10 years ago is either, ever seen an Alfa 156 crash test, awful.

The trade off for light weight is lack of rigidity. It's arguable the pursuit of that rigidity has gone too far nowadays. Look at the thickness of the A pillars on most new cars; just in case you roll it over. Excess weight is the enemy of acceleration and good fuel consumption.

When the Citroen AX first came out, the only real criticism was that the light weight made it a bit unstable at Motorway speeds in windy conditions, which affects most vehicles to one degree or another.

They were featured on Watchdog for lifting wheels when cornering so were quite rigid when new, although after 12 years it will have lost alot of the original rigidity.

Nice tidy example. Like these cars when they're done right, yours obviously isnt going to fall into the catagory of chav, as you have no intentions of modding it such a way! Keep us updated!

Thinking about a few mods like slightly bigger brakes off 206, some better shocks, a full exhaust system basically some things that will improve track performance. Visually it'll remain 100% standard.

thepottleflump said:
They were featured on Watchdog for lifting wheels when cornering so were quite rigid when new, although after 12 years it will have lost alot of the original rigidity.

Well this is what happened when my cousin clipped the kerb and rolled his..
11-02-08_0806.jpg

11-02-08_0807.jpg

11-02-08_0805.jpg

DSC000799.JPG

DSC000778.JPG

He walked away with nothing but bruises and scratchs luckily for him!!!

Doesn't look too bad considering the car turned over. There's no getting over the fact that modern cars are alot safer but they're also much heavier as a result of all the extra strengthening.

i quite like it tbh, esp as it's completely standard..:eek: although i still think they are like sardine cans to many cars of that age even if most are bad tbh...although i have to say to many of them have ruined the brand and they will always be branded chav...esp. in the metallic blue...

Doesn't look too bad considering the car turned over. There's no getting over the fact that modern cars are alot safer but they're also much heavier as a result of all the extra strengthening.
I wasn't there so couldn't really make a judgement, but totally agree, no strength at all in the a-pillars. Was his first car, had his licence less than a month at that point :rolleyes:

2641736527a7060920700l.jpg

no punto's even mk1s are much tougher than a saxo the pillars are much better designed yet the 2 cars hold a similar weight the punto being slightly heavier than the saxo but i think thats fare as it is overall bigger more spaciouse car the main reasone they do so well is because the car was developed right from the start to have a cabriolet counterpart there fore the a pillars can hold the cars weight thurther more with a roof this effect is great maintaining good shape folowing a roll as you can see above

as far as reliability is concerned the saxos lose every single time they are one of my pet hates after just 4 years in the motor trade i have seen problems regarding alternators/overloaded ignition switches/bad earths extremly weak transmisions electro hydraulic power steering isues/leaking sun roofs/rear wheel bearing failures/ stub axcels on the back i have seen snapped folowing lightinsidents with kirbs that most other cars would otherwise shrug off/general electronic problems with most of the cars electrics/ my mates set on fire

i cant beieve they kept making them the same way for so many years mid 90s right past the 2000 mark fiat change there models every 5 years or less i mean can you imagine buying a fiat uno rebadged as a punto in 2003 it's ridicoulouse why do people buy them

chav cars yes definately around here loads of them and more so corsas there cheaper puntos up north not one is chaved that i know localy and i have seen 50 pluss in local vilage being close to a fiat dealer

driving them is awfull cable clutches awfull gear lincages typical feelless french brakes non progresive throttle more like a switch on and off suspect handling tortion beam rear suspension with no anti roll bar my punto has 2 front and back on a mk1 thats briliant pluss a sub frame for both front and rear suspension all very modern stuff at the time saxo oh no no no just bolt them bottom arms right onto the tin can shell

the interior is tiny and awfull to look at/sit in what more can i say there

the lesser engines are seriously underpowered and the bigger ones are suisidal the automatics are really slow considering they share the same 1.6 8v

the peugeot counterparts are better but not buy much

it's pretty plain and simple they are crap cars buil to a very low budget with dated technology

and to clear a few things up lifting a back wheel doesn't under any circumstances mean you have a rigid car it means you have very poorly set up suspension mainly regarding the roll centres being too high if you don't know what the means go ask your physics teacher kids

Last edited:
To clear things yp Sultan take on board you comments but in my opinion you're wrong. My wifes Saxo required a £50 repair in 7 years hardly an unrelaible heap but lets jst remember that Fiat hardly has a good rep; just ask my sister if she'd buy another Grande Punto after her last experience. The interior is small yes but in my opinion is nicer to look at than the old Punto and all you could expect in a 15 year old design. Handling, you can knock out all the technical stuff but can't get away from the on the road fact that the Saxo is a better than the Punto ever was. Driving style, every car is different, never experienced the on-off switch in the Saxos I've owned but have in my Fiat Bravo T-Jet I'm sure this relates to the Turbo coming on stream and I wouldn't say my wifes 1.1 Saxo was underpowered, had plenty of perk for the town and on a motoway cruised happily at 70mph+. Just thought I'd clear that up for you ;) And yes I've owned more fiats than Citroens.

I don't think they are a bad car if left unmolested and maintained properly, and that one certainly looks much better than the majority. I hope its as good as you remember it...it must have been good for you to buy it back.

thats the sort of thing Dave would say....sorta of a Dave 2..jesus Custard 2 now a possible Dave 2...

we have a non fiat section on this fiat site so if people want to post their Chav Chariots for us to take the **** out of then they can. if people abuse this and start to use the section to take the **** out of fiats on a fiat site, then the section may have to go altogether:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back