Bravo (Classic) my bravo 1.8hlx

Currently reading:
Bravo (Classic) my bravo 1.8hlx

jug

blessed are the apostates
i thought i'd upload a gallery showing the mods done so far, so i can link to it in my sig. basically i bought this 1998 bravo 1.8 HLX off ebay for £750 back in April with 58k on the clock. since then i've made a few improvements but im taking a very subtle approach to this car, i'm pleased with the results so far.
front.jpg

On the front we see marea HLX polyelliptical headlights, a black fiat badge, taken a driver's side wiper of another HLX so i have twin wipers. not much but it works.

rear.jpg

On the rear there's no badges and a twin 3" exhaust keeping it simple.

front-side.jpg

From this angle you can see the car has been lowered 45mm and i've stuck some 15" stilo alloys on with a silver&darkchrome mix paint and original blue fiat centre caps to match the car. i've debadged the front wings and replaced the orange side repeaters with clear lense ones which are black inside to match the other lights on the car. also original HLX mudflaps.

side-rear.jpg

and from the rear

side.jpg

and one from the side for good measure :)

enginebay.jpg

in the engine bay i've got a ripspeed airfilter, not realy happy with it, most likely going to get a blue JR filter to match the car. i'm thinking about painting the sparkplug cover the colour of the car aswell.

interior.jpg

HLX interior is so much better than my SX had. i've got oriignal fiat contour mats with a blue fiat badge on drivers mat.

handbrakegearknob.jpg

i've taken the darker leather of a mk2 brava for my gearstick and handbrake, much nicer than the standard plastic on the handbrake. this is temporary until i can find a marea centre console that isnt beige. notice the toyota leather gearknob with gray centre insert. a very nice gearknob off the new corrolla.

gps-headunit.jpg

I get to where im going with the help of my friend TOMTOM on my HP PDA. Also you can see my Pioneer DEH-P7700MP headunit with its lovely motion graphics.

boot-ice.jpg

i keep it bouncey with my boot full of toys. i've got a full JBL system all round.
its a 6 channel apmp powering the 6x9 on the shelft and the sub, and also the JBL components in the front. sounds fantastic

alloy.jpg

and a closeup of an alloy to see the lovelyness. i wont ever go bigger than 15" ever again, they get your car so low, and performance is better for handling and acceleration no doubt.

Looking lovely :) Must say, those wheels look big for 15's :D They suit the car really well. Great stuff!

Gary

Definitely one (if not the) of the best looking Bravos I've ever seen. And the best thing is that it's all kept original. (y)
Great car Jug, knock on wood.

the headlights are a direct fit physically, the wiring on the sidelights is the only hassle, and thats easy to do. you just take the 2 wires from the sidelight bulb holder and conneect them to the 2 wires on the original multiplug. the original multiplug fits onto the marea lights for the main & high beams, and the indicator wiring is also the same. its easy to do, but finding a pair of lights is hard, you may notice the driver's side light on my car has a home made mount becuase the originals broke off, its fairly common for them to break off when you try to undo the rusty bolts holding them on, also the ball joint on each light can be a pain to disengage, i suggest a big long metal bar to lever them off

i pulled the old badge off, sprayed it black, then stuck it back on. i was going to stick a new shape fiat badge on the front to match the alloy centre caps but it doesnt look right so im sticking to the black old style badge. it matches all the black bits

lots of plans, i've just changed the air filter for a blue one exactly the same colour as the car. this weekend im going to paint the spark plug cover silver and make the "fiat 16v" the same colour blue as the car. should finish the engine bay off nicely.

i'm also planning to remove as much of the darker grey plastic from a mk2 as possible to get a 2 tone interior. i've already got the darker leather gaitors and window switches, i'll get there eventually. also going to add a marea centre console. i think a 2 tone interior will look better, its a bit more interesting, but it wont look DIY like most of my previous cars becuase i'll be using original fiat parts.

i'm not happy with the back lights so im going to modify them to make them black inside, leaving just the illuminated parts the normal colour. also im going to swap the driver side back light with a light from a bravo in a left hand drive country so both backlights will have a reverse light. symmetry is important. the reflectors on the back bumper will then get modified to become rear side/fog lights with twin element bulbs. i'll make sure the new lights have clear lenses with black inside to match the rest of the car, and i'll keep them flush with the bumper. should work out nicely.

i'm also thinking about replacing the 6x9s with some components, they sound better and dont attract thieves as much. i can hide the mids where the original speakers go, i'll stick the crossovers in the boot, and the tweeters high on the hatch out of sight.

not much else i want to do. i need to finally fix the sunroof leak, and i think i'll end up changing the door cards front and rear because all of mine have minor marks and scratches. im a bit of a perfectionist so i regularly find myself in bed at night thinking about the marks, sad or what!!

yeah i was thinking with my interior i am aiming to have it black and blue the same colour of the car. there is a post on here somewhere about the centre console. i didint quite like the look of it.

the back lights look good has standard and i am personally not gonna mess with them. the rear reflectors are getting removed on mine but i have heard that they have to be there legally cauz of the rear lights being black ( not sure how true that is)

have you thought about having the black bump strips removed and smoothed over cauz i think that it gives t car a better look over all and makes a big change with out going over the top.

keep up the good work its looking really smart

one more thing how easy of a job is the spraying of the covers gonna be cauz you will need special paint if its in the engine bay cauz of the heat factor wont you

to pass your MOT you need to have red reflectors on the back, but you can buy a pair of reflectors at wilkinsons for 1.99 and stick them on for the MOT then pull them off after you pass. as long as the back of the car has a reflector on each side it will pass.

with past cars i've removed the bump strips and found to my horror that you get A LOT of car park damage, i never realised what a good job bump strips did until i tried taking them off. never again.

for painting parts in the engine bay i use engine paint, its usualy a spray aerosol thats cheap to buy and easy to use and lasts for ages. you can even buy exhaust paint for extra hot applications, but it doesnt stay on a manifold very long, not very surprising when you consider how hot they get, it does work on backboxes very well.

easy way around the car park damage is to take up two spaces lol.

you will have to post some pics of the covers once you have sprayed them cuz i havnt seen it on a bravo before.

sorry to ask a stupid question, but is yours a mk1?
I absolutely LOVE your :worship: car (y)Nice one.
I wish mine was as tidy.(n)
Im liking the idea of this marea light conversion thing.. Think I might go down that route.. You make it sound easy!
Laurie

Back