DSCF02671.JPG

Punto (Mk2/2b) My blue sporting/headache/project

Introduction

I have had this car for 10 days now and it needs another wash, drives well and is more fun than i thought it would be.

One of the rubbing strips was missing and one door bagging was very tatty looking, so they vanished(y)

250 miles into ownership the management light came on, rang a mate today "how much for a code read on a 2001 punto Gaz?"
"£35"

Hmmmm, he charged me £20 for dads brava airbag light and that was a mare to sort... Try Paul... "how much for a code read on a punto paul?"
Just bring it down mate, we'll sort you out... But you know about cars, why the F*** did you buy a punto, you nob.;)

Got there and he just handed me his snap-on scanner "go sort it out then, you know what you're doing don't you?"

The light has not come back yet but I'm going to have some quality tinker time on my next day off...
Tinker time today....

More bodges uncovered and a temporary repair done to the catalyst.. Pictures will show what I mean

What kind of absolute retard has been working on this poor car:bang::bang::bang:

And I know the Irony of me saying that after smearing the cat with exhaust paste, it's a temporary measure and if it works the paste will be wire brushed off and the same mate who loaned me his scanner will run a line of weld over it(y)

Well today I recieved my latest gadget, a code reader

http://www.dinodirect.com/code-vreader-launch-obd2/currency-GBP.html?ddse=launch

I like a gadget, It fired straight into the punto with no issues and found a fault code for the first lambda, which it cleared, the hole was plugged 2 days after the previous set of codes were cleared so we will see if it comes back.

After a good rummage under the car and a chat with my friendly MOT tester it needs some new parts before being presented for test, both lower arms, both track rod ends, and a CV boot.
The discs would be advisorys although the previous owner kindly fitted a set of genuine FIAT pads to these shagged discs "Facepalm"

The car drives spot-on, but the rubber boots over all 4 balljoints are split (Mot FAIL) and the amount of brake dust is epic, the inner faces of the discs are breaking up and chomping these expensive pads at a fair rate, being a sporting it already has 257mm discs, so the search begins for some vented calipers.

I have a history of tinkering with brakes...
Vauxhall nova 1.4, sprouted astra 2.0 16v GT/E brakes
Renault clio 1.4 RT, Megane 16v/Clio Williams brakes
Escrote 1.8SI, EBC discs+red pads
BMW E30, Brembo discs, yellowstuff pads... It already had the best calipers available without custom machined parts or a 4pot conversion.

I dont think there is any point going fast, unless you are sure you can stop.

Last edited:
Back