Technical My beloved Fiat Brava won't turn over.

Currently reading:
Technical My beloved Fiat Brava won't turn over.

thatone907guy

Everything worked the morning of yesterday, she started just fine and I had a smooth ride to work just like every other day. That night after a 6 hour shift at work, I get into my car, and start it however it won't tun over. It tries to start like it just has a dead battery. A buddy and I charge the battery for a good 20 minutes and try once again. No luck. :bang: Everything ran just fine that morning.

When I turn the key one tick, I can hear the fuel pump prime, and the cutoff switch isn't tripped. So I'm thinking it might be electrical.

*note, My fuel injector light will come on every now and then, and the car will jerk back and forth when I press down on the accelerator, or just wont accelerate for a couple of seconds like its having a hard time getting fuel into the engine... Maybe its the injectors?* :confused:

1997 Fiat Brava 1.4L 12v

Welcome to the forum thatone907guy!

I agree it sounds electrical or starter motor related. Just as a quick first thought you could try putting a wire from the negative battery terminal to some bare metal on the engine / gearbox. You could use a jumper lead for example. This will prove the car has a good earth connection to the battery. Just make sure you connect to the negative battery terminal.

The 1.4 12valve only has a single injector in the throttle body. Here are some details.
https://www.fiatforum.com/bravo-bra...v-throttle-potentiometer-position-sensor.html

Hey! Thanks for the reply, Adrian!

Your link answers a lot of questions about my injectors. The light will usually come on during sudden acceleration and climbing steep hills, so that sensor is probably the cause. I have used injector cleaner that you just pour into the gas tank, and that seems to help most of the time. I might just need new ones.

Now what you said about providing a good ground for the battery; is that while jump starting the car? If so, still no luck getting her started as I have just tried that around 20 minutes ago. I even tried push starting her down a hill.

Looks like ill have to get the car towed to my mechanic later this week....

The injectorlight is just generic warning from ECU, it just happens to be shaped like injector.

As the fault only seems to come under heavy load I'd suspect something other like the fuel filter.
It's cheap and easy to replace so why not?

On 1.4 its under the plastic cover infront of the rear wheel, or atleast should be. Only later models had integrated filter in the pump.

Hey! Thanks for the reply, Adrian!

Your link answers a lot of questions about my injectors. The light will usually come on during sudden acceleration and climbing steep hills, so that sensor is probably the cause. I have used injector cleaner that you just pour into the gas tank, and that seems to help most of the time. I might just need new ones

Now what you said about providing a good ground for the battery; is that while jump starting the car? If so, still no luck getting her started as I have just tried that around 20 minutes ago. I even tried push starting her down a hill.

Looks like ill have to get the car towed to my mechanic later this week....

any news yet..??:confused:

So after many frustrating days, and many manly tears being shed...

The immobilizer is shot... So that explains a lot. I now have to search the the internet for new locks, keys, a new ECU, and alarm system (immobilizer etc).

At least the car is still drive-able.. Ill just have to trick the immobilizer every time I start the car. :bang: He'll show me how to do that when I pick up the car this Monday. (He wont even charge me for trying to fix it!)

The engine runs as smooth as ever, so at least I've got that going for me, which is nice...

So next week I should have Blue (my car's name) fixed and better than ever. I'll get better at keeping you guys posted.

Back