Technical My Baby Punto :(

Currently reading:
Technical My Baby Punto :(

matthewy2

Hey People
Ive got a 1997 1.1 fiat punto, i am having a problem with and could end up scraping the car.

First off all the car is up for MOT this month.

Secound is when i go to my car after not using it for a coupld of hours for example when i wake up in the morning. when i start the car it cuts out, i can actually get the car started if i put the accelorater down and rev it up. evan though its going as soon as i have to stop it will cut out and id have to start the same way. After a good run though the car work perfect and i dont know what to do.

Has anybody got any advice on the 2nd problem or is it time to scrap me first car :(.:bang:

about 12 months ago, do you think that a service will sort this problem out?
Thanks for the fast reply

Should service your car every 6 or 8 months, Oil and Oil Filter, Spark Plugs, Air Filter, you could even change the Fuel Filter as this needs changed every 50 or 60K.

THANKS PEOPLE. ill let you all know how i get on. many thanks again

I have the EXACT same problem and car too.

is there anything i can do my self before i go for a service?
as i wont be able to for about a month and this is quite annoying when it happens

I have the EXACT same problem and car too.

is there anything i can do my self before i go for a service?
as i wont be able to for about a month and this is quite annoying when it happens

I know the Feeling

not sorted it out then matey?

No pal, my mot is due on saturday and if it pass's ill be getting a service. I dont wanna service it and then summat to be nakerd when it comes to the MOT. Thanks for asking buddy :)

Don't know unfortunately. Never had that problem myself so not sure what would be involved. Maybe some of the people on here with a bit more technical knowledge might be able to shed some light.

I've had a similar thing to this.

kinda of like a weak spark/ weak misfire, starts first crank as ever, but idles a bit low, then cuts out with any throttle atall. 2nd fire up its fine.

only thing I could put it down to is a bad spark, so coil packs are maybe getting weak, and with the cold they are struggling. also HT leads could be the problem, again, sudden bit of cold will not help them either.

TBH its only done it on mine 2 or 3 times in the last year, so not really a problem.

thanks for that matey, ill just get it serviced and see what happens. by the way it passed its MOT :)

glad to hear it passed. Just give it a good service. What i do when i service it is flush the engine and give it a bottle of redex or injector cleaner. Should try it. For a small bottle of redex from halfords its £1.29.

glad to hear it passed. Just give it a good service. What i do when i service it is flush the engine and give it a bottle of redex or injector cleaner. Should try it. For a small bottle of redex from halfords its £1.29.

Ill give it a try
good man Shaunyboyuk

If you have a carburrettor, then the automatic choke isn't doing its thing. It's supposed to shut off the air a touch, so that the mixture is richer when the ambient temperature is colder.

It starts after a while because the engine eventually floods (so gets a rich enough mixture to fire).

You need to take the air filter off and check what the choke flap is doing. I'd clean everything up in there. It'll be quite gummy and dirty, I reckon.

Use Carb/Choke cleaner.. it's quite nasty stuff so don't sniff too much. Then make sure the choke flap moves freely on and off on its pivot. Put a bit of grease on any moving parts or cables and work it in..

Ralf S.

If you have a carburrettor, then the automatic choke isn't doing its thing. It's supposed to shut off the air a touch, so that the mixture is richer when the ambient temperature is colder.

It starts after a while because the engine eventually floods (so gets a rich enough mixture to fire).

You need to take the air filter off and check what the choke flap is doing. I'd clean everything up in there. It'll be quite gummy and dirty, I reckon.

Use Carb/Choke cleaner.. it's quite nasty stuff so don't sniff too much. Then make sure the choke flap moves freely on and off on its pivot. Put a bit of grease on any moving parts or cables and work it in..

Ralf S.

Cheers Ralf

Ill give it a try, nothing else has worked yet.

Back