My Automotive Photography - any advice? (PICTURE HEAVY!)

Currently reading:
My Automotive Photography - any advice? (PICTURE HEAVY!)

Well, i'm trying to start up a little side line photography business/venture. Nothing too serious really, it's just that i've been taking pictures at an ammateur level for years and I really want to go abit further with it.

I've recently (ish) got into shooting cars as they're something I love so I just wondered if I could have some advice/opinions on any of my photo's and any tips of how I can progress?

And if anyone wants any pictures taking of their own cars or whatever then obviously that wouldn't be a bad thing! :rolleyes:

Anyway, just a couple :) & thanks in advance!

BTW: I'm currently shooting with a Nikon D70s and the Nikkor 18mm-70mm DX & a Sigma 70mm-300mm.

Aston_Martin_DB7_Vantage_02_by_manthatkidisscrewed.jpg

Aston_Martin_DB7_Vantage_03_by_manthatkidisscrewed.jpg

C2_in_the_Ghetto_02_by_manthatkidisscrewed.jpg

MK2_Punto_1_2_16v_Sporting_05_by_manthatkidisscrewed.jpg

MK2_Punto_1_2_16v_Sporting_02_by_manthatkidisscrewed.jpg

Peuegeot_407_Sport_by_manthatkidisscrewed.jpg

Peugeot_106_GTI_01_by_manthatkidisscrewed.jpg

Mini_RR___06_by_manthatkidisscrewed.jpg

Mini_RR___02_by_manthatkidisscrewed.jpg

I like the picture of the yellow car with the headlight (showing my noobish talent of naming cars makes lol ) and the last two ( yes I know this one ) the mini.

Why?
Its the colour and light. They just really stick out and make them look classy.

Some of the pics (Punto & MINI) are really nice, but most of the others seem a bit 'dated'....(Sorry! :eek:)

I would look at magazines, TV shows (TopGear etc) for inspiration....As I'm sure you know, photography is an art form and so you need to develop your own style (which the punto and MINI shots are heading towards)

A lot of it is to do with composition....This is quite interesting:

http://www.colorpilot.com/comp_rules.html

Good luck! (y)

Oh and Keep at it! :D

There are some great pictures there! Keep up your hard work with the photos (y)
Thanks alot! :D

I like the picture of the yellow car with the headlight (showing my noobish talent of naming cars makes lol ) and the last two ( yes I know this one ) the mini.

Why?
Its the colour and light. They just really stick out and make them look classy.
lol, it's a Mk2 Punto! :) I like the lighting best on those 2 aswell...thanks! :D

Some of the pics (Punto & MINI) are really nice, but most of the others seem a bit 'dated'....(Sorry! :eek:)

I would look at magazines, TV shows (TopGear etc) for inspiration....As I'm sure you know, photography is an art form and so you need to develop your own style (which the punto and MINI shots are heading towards)

A lot of it is to do with composition....This is quite interesting:

http://www.colorpilot.com/comp_rules.html

Good luck! (y)

Oh and Keep at it! :D
Thanks for the advice...I know exactly what you mean though! (y)

Do you think it has alot to do with the other shots being abit to bland and not as vibrant as the others?

Don't worry, I intend to! :p:D and thanks! :D

Last edited:
i think it is to do with a lack of contrast between the subject and the background, without that the subject isn't very well defined.

are you using any filters on the camera, if you are shooting in natural bright sunlight then a circular polariser imo would help a lot. meaning you can dial out reflections on the windows of the car, and also lessen the brighter overexposed bits of the body.

Does your camera shoot im RAW and does it you have the ability to set exposure time.
If you get the object in question into position then set the exposure time to say 20 minutes making sure that there are no elements to wobble the camera you will be amazed at the out come as say light come on cars come past ETC.

I don't mean to be negative here, but these to me just look like snapshots. You need to show the cars of at their best, so that means having the car excellently prepared. Also think about how you are going to light the cars, using natural light, reflectors, studio lighting. Also you're backgrounds often distract from the car too.

On a composition note, why not try getting in close with a wide focal length to pick out some detail or use your long focal lengths to get a shallow DoF to pick out certain areas of the cars. Most of your shots look about 50mm so not very exciting in my opinion.

Also i'm not sure that a 6 megapixel camera can show enough resolution to be used in print, and you may want to look at upgrading from the kit lens too.

Keep experimenting and trying new things and try to get a unique style that will then set your photos apart from others. Good luck.

Does your camera shoot im RAW and does it you have the ability to set exposure time.
If you get the object in question into position then set the exposure time to say 20 minutes making sure that there are no elements to wobble the camera you will be amazed at the out come as say light come on cars come past ETC.

Don't you mean 20 seconds?

i think it is to do with a lack of contrast between the subject and the background, without that the subject isn't very well defined.

are you using any filters on the camera, if you are shooting in natural bright sunlight then a circular polariser imo would help a lot. meaning you can dial out reflections on the windows of the car, and also lessen the brighter overexposed bits of the body.
Yeah that's definately an issue..that's probably another reason why the Mini and the Punto shots are slightly better. I'm using UV filters on both lenses but that's it. I'll see if I can find a circular polariser though so thanks! :D

Yeah it does shoot in RAW - that's the format I use all of the time tbh!
Mmmm, i'll give that ago...i've always looked at trying to do long exposures but whenever we've been shooting the cars it's bin quite rushed so i've never got round to it...definately a must do now though! (y)

the cooper shots are epic!!!:worship:
lmao cheers mate! it's only a Mini One though but Ssshhh :p although it's mapped to the same that a Cooper remaps to (cos it's the old 1.6 Mini One) and it has an exhaust so it's not exactly slow!

I don't mean to be negative here, but these to me just look like snapshots. You need to show the cars of at their best, so that means having the car excellently prepared. Also think about how you are going to light the cars, using natural light, reflectors, studio lighting. Also you're backgrounds often distract from the car too.

On a composition note, why not try getting in close with a wide focal length to pick out some detail or use your long focal lengths to get a shallow DoF to pick out certain areas of the cars. Most of your shots look about 50mm so not very exciting in my opinion.

Also i'm not sure that a 6 megapixel camera can show enough resolution to be used in print, and you may want to look at upgrading from the kit lens too.

Keep experimenting and trying new things and try to get a unique style that will then set your photos apart from others. Good luck.

Nah don't worry - that's what the thread was for!! With reference to the cars and the locations i've tried to really shoot the cars as the owners want them and where they want them. So the cars have been prepared to the owners preferences and in general shot in a location which has been picked by the owners. But I do see what you mean about the distracting backgrounds - Where would you suggest as good locations to shoot?

I'm only starting out so don't have a huge studio or any lighting equipment yet but it's certainly something I intend to invest in in the future!

Most of my shots are indeed around the 50mm ish focal length so I agree I think I need to try and vary that abit more!! Any sort of advice for doing so? What sort of close up shots go down well with cars? Because i've always thought of mine as somewhat lacking whenever i've tried tbh...:bang:

As far as the camera quality goes I know it's only 6MP but the sensor is seriously high quality - It's not of the standard of something like a D300 but I can't afford to upgrade to that sort of model at the moment (money is going on my car this month :cool:) But I can assure you the photo's are high quality and high detailed up to Poster size as I have in my sitting room a photograph I took of some Tigers blown up and framed in Poster size :slayer:

Thanks Everyone for your comments! :D(y)

I think it's just 'feel'....A picture either works or it doesn't....

Take these two pics of the Audi R8....

I think the top makes the car look very average, but the bottom one really sets it off due to the composition, the backdrop and the colour palette....

r81.jpg

exterior.Par.0416.Image.jpg

I think it's just 'feel'....A picture either works or it doesn't....

Take these two pics of the Audi R8....

I think the top makes the car look very average, but the bottom one really sets it off due to the composition, the backdrop and the colour palette....

r81.jpg

exterior.Par.0416.Image.jpg
So what you're saying is the backdrop needs to be more matched to the car itself? I think I need to go location scouting...:rolleyes:

(i quite like the top one :confused: but the 2nd one is better!)

Last edited:
Back