Image0198.jpg

Seicento My 2.0 16v Seicento Project

Introduction

As most of you already know i was thinking of creating a 2.0 16v fiat seicento......looking at the conversion, its already causing a few issues and wont be straight forward... but im still giving it a go!!

I need to work out how to get the hub / drive shaft combo sorted.... brake callipers + lines need to be worked out, and then the most important, keeping the rear end on the floor when braking!! as i didnt realise how light these cars are with nothing in the rear...

Ive got a T reg seicento sporting with 12months MOT and 6 Months tax, so this is a good base to get started on.

So far the car has been gutted, and im in the process of cutting out the wiring i wont be needing.

Im off on a 300 mile round trip tomorrow to pick the engine up, and then the battle of fitting it in will begin!
I need to work out how to get the hub / drive shaft combo sorted

Pair of cento shafts.
Pair of V... Vau... Vaux.... (sorry, can't bring myself to say that word) driveshafts.
Cut them both in half, get an engineering firm to weld togther the two bits you want. Cento outer, V-word inner.

And if you can find somone who's putting a seicento engine into an Astra then you've got a buyer for the other bits of driveshaft you are left with (y)

Probably could get a machine shop to just shorten the vauxhall ones and machine the spline again.

Machining and hardening the splines is not particularly cheap AFAIK.

How do the Mini guys do it? Might be worth having a look at the 16V Mini Club forums for example; loads of C20 based (plus lots of other) builds over there.

Cheers all for the support... Was talking today about a few issues above... We are thinking of getting the large 300bhp motorsport nova 2.0 shafts, and having them cut and re splined at one end to fit the fiat hubs.

As for the rear we are going to vent the boot floor in the spare wheel well... stack two rads above (one on top of the other) and then set up a directed double fan set up to push the warm air out.. Possibly may have a front mounted intercooler type rad at the front if room allows...
All this in the rear will be semi boxed in along with an audio boot build where the rear seat would be... Mainly to add the weight, as there really isn't much else we can do.

All the pipework will be custom made and polished copper.. as its running internally.

Looking forward to picking the engine up tomorrow :) will add pics when were back

Last edited:
Should be some hub out there in the FIAT/Alfa/Lancia bin. 155 is a good choice 'cos the parts are cheap as chips (engines and boxes excluded) in the scrappy. 156 seems to have a wierd twin wishbone with strut arrangement which might be fun for handling, albeit complex.

I think you're spooling up quicker than anyone else, Martin, hence the snappages. (Either that or you're very brave!) ;)

Yeah stock items but I'm looking at around 20k replacement of the CV joins so they get well serviced. As for spool up, allanhelen may have a turbo the spools up quicker however under a lot of conditions my setup delivers boost in a manner that is closer to a supercharger setup than a typical turbo setup when getting back on the throttle.

I've stripped a Cento hub too :eek: if i were you I'd look for something stronger from a bigger car, there will be something in the FIAT parts bin that will do the job

But there again I do seem to be the only person that has done this this so far

Have you any recommedations of a particular hub? One that i can use the standard sei rack and bottom fixing.

I picked the engine up, looks tidy, and need a few bits that are missing, but it was a bargain at £200 + fuel £50 to collect... Il upload a pic tomorrow when i can find my cable.

Back