20150317_131113.jpg

Grande Punto My 1.9 Multijet Sporting

Introduction

I've been a long time lurker on this forum for some time now with the odd post here and there and trying to help others with their troubles etc... and have never thought about starting a thread on my car until now. I used to have a GP 1.4 Active Sport and loved it but wished it had more power/torque! I always liked the look of the Abarth GP but wanted better MPG.

So here it is!

20150317_131113.jpg

20150317_163651.jpg

20150317_131055.jpg

Besides the change in appearance, it has a cat back exhaust system and an EGR swirl plate fitted.

Its had almost all the common issues fixed;

• Drivers Door Lock
  • Top Mounts
  • Drop Links
  • Glow Plug Relay
  • EGR Valve
  • New Turbo
  • Gearbox Bearings

Future changes will be;

• Tinted rear windows
  • Complete EGR Blanking
  • Team Heko Wind Deflectors
  • Lowering Springs/Coilovers
  • Oil Catch Tank
  • RedDot Remap
  • Front & Rear Disc/Pads Uprated
  • Rear Wheel Spacers
  • Wheel Refurb
  • Abarth Interior or Factory Leather Seats
  • Possible Hybrid Turbo
LIKE soo much the way U're car look like now and the way U plan to make an upgrades.
All the Best.....?

Sent from my iPhone using FIAT Forum mobile app

Wow looks nice

Time to replace those wheels with abarth ones ;)

Just a small update, took the car in for its MOT today and was quite surprised to be told it failed because my rear brake pads were under the legal limit (n)

So, after being offered replacement rear pads for £78.00 inc. I kindly turned down the offer and bought a full set of discs and pads from my local spares (EU) for £168.00 inc. :devil:

20150318_163657.jpg

They're nothing special but they'll do the job and need doing pretty quick. Will be fitting them tomorrow.

Spent today fitting the new discs and pads, front and back. Decided to give the calipers a small makeover too... :)

Before;

20150319_095830.jpg

After;

20150319_125102.jpg

20150320_162719.jpg

I was going to go red, but I thought blue would be different and it matches up with the blue fiat badges (y)

Thanks for the positive comments :D

Wow! Looks absolutely stunning. I've got a 1.4 Active Sport now, 8v. What's the difference in power like?

The Multijet has a lot more of both torque and power. The low to mid range grunt is great. 4th and 5th gear pull surprises most! Economy is good too, I average around 46mpg around town.

The gearbox is best described as, well... crap. Mine was reconditioned less than 6 months ago but is already showing the tell tale signs.

When I had my 06 1.4 8v as great as it was, I was always craving more from it :( I actually traded it in for a much older 51 plate Clio 172. I thought it was the fastest thing in the world but the novelty soon wore off and I was getting fed up with the running costs and insurance.

I can comfortably say that although the 172 was a fun hot hatch with plenty of power to play with and great handling to match, I would honestly pick the torque and economy from the GP any day. Plus it is more than capable of being tuned well above the standard power of a 172, oh and its ridiculously cheap to insure and manages to put a smile on my face every time I drive it (y)

Some lovely, highly considerate middle aged lady with spectacles like beer glasses decided to leave me a little something in a car park this weekend.

SAM_0869.JPG

(see reflection of clio's rear wheel?)

She scampered before I had the chance to thank her. Or take any kind of details. :bang:

Straight on the phone. £90. Happy Easter!

Last edited:
I've been looking into something recently, and as far as I am aware the Grande Punto and Vauxhall Corsa share many chassis components (correct me if I'm wrong!).

What about the hubs? More specifically... the VXR 5 stud hubs. Does anyone know if they'll fit?

Last edited:
Looks amazing mate, always been a fan of the all black look. Keep up the good work!

Take care.

Seeing as the warmer weather is approaching and the evenings are getting a bit brighter I'm beginning to want to do a few more bits to the car.

Having trouble deciding what to do with my wheels... they're looking a little grubby now after the worst of the winter weather :yuck:

One option is to get new wheels, but which ones? I have Abarth bumpers etc fitted but the reason I never fitted Abarth wheels was so that it stays true to its Multi-jet roots and people would look twice rather than assuming its an Abarth...

OR

I'm thinking of just getting them reconditioned. But what colour? I'm thinking either gloss black to go with paintwork, gloss anthracite to match the Abarth trim, or the standard look silver?

On a different note, I've been thinking about custom Abarth badges on the front and back, thoughts?

New wheels new wheels new wheels!

As for which ones, what styles do you like?

If money was no object and I could find a way of adapting the hubs (was wondering if Corsa VXR hubs would fit a GP?), I REALLY like these;

Wheels24.jpg

Otherwise, something similar to these but with a few more spokes, I like the flat faced look if you see what I mean;

Wheels13.jpg

If money was no object and I could find a way of adapting the hubs (was wondering if Corsa VXR hubs would fit a GP?), I REALLY like these;

Wheels24.jpg

Otherwise, something similar to these but with a few more spokes, I like the flat faced look if you see what I mean;

Wheels13.jpg

I'd check the center bore/offset/etc. Do you know what PCD yours uses? I know a lot of Fiats use 4x98 (UGH) but I thought some GPs used 4x100 which is a hell of a lot more common so your choice of wheels would be through the roof!

Budget? Are you on Wheel Trader on Facebook?

Budget around 500 or less. I don't really wanna go overboard. TBH I'm more towards reconditioning the standard wheels and widening the track on the rear...

Those Insignia VXline wheels are just so nice!

Wheels on a GP are 4x100 PCD 56.6
Insignia 5x120 PCD 72.6

I've actually just found some adaptors online...

Due to needing a bigger car I'm afraid my GP is now up for sale! I had planned on trading it in but I thought I'd see if anyone is interested beforehand.

It's still as it was in the pictures posted so far.

55k miles on the clock. Will need servicing in around 3000 miles. Cambelt, waterpump and alternator changed recently. Turbo was replaced around 10 months ago and the gearbox bearings replaced about 18 months ago. Recently replaced discs and pads all round.

Most of the common faults have been sorted. Had new suspension top mounts and drop links. New front springs. New EGR VALVE (has a swirl plate fitted). New drivers door locking mechanism. Other little bits I can't remember.

Always been kept clean and tidy. The interior is in good condition, complete and undamaged other than slight wear in seat bolster but no rips or tears. Exterior is great however there are stone chips on the bonnet which is to be expected. There is also one dent on the drivers side which has been pictured before in this thread. The rear tow eye cover is also missing.

Looking for around £2500. Been given a really good part exchange deal so absolute lowest I will go is £2300 for quick sale. Need it gone by Friday 3rd June as picking up new car! Advertised elsewhere so will update if sold.

Gorgeous car. I'd like to make mine look like that one day, but I have the stock 16v sporting alloys, not sure if it'd look good on them as they're a little bulky?

Back