Technical Multipla Rear Brake Drums Advice

Currently reading:
Technical Multipla Rear Brake Drums Advice

frankharrison

Anyone on here know why I can't put my rear brake drum back on my Multipla after changing the shoes? Well it only just went on tight.
The offside was fairly easy but the nearside was a pain.
Auto Adjusters to minimum, no handbrake cable on (in fact undone to be slack). Even allowed brake fluid out of the cylinder to collapse the pistons (blead after).
All aligned up as I did with the offside but the drum was a tight fit and gets hot when the car is on the road.
The car stops ok and hand brake is ok (just passed MOT like it) but I'm worried about it getting hot.
Does it need a new drum or will it wear in ?

Hmmm...
If its getting hot you'll want to sort it ASAP.
Are you sure you got the right shoes?
The only thing other than the adjusters that will push them out is an overly tight handbrake cable(or indeed semi seized ones)
Maybe your handbrake cable at the handle was overadjusted... Pull back the leathery stuff to reveal a plastic screw... Slacken it off...
Marty.

It could be one of the two pistons is seized in the bore and so is not fully retracting. I had one completely seized up and had to replace the whole thing, which is straight forward unless the brake pipe twists as you undo the nut which connects it to the cylinder body.

They are new cylinders so the pistons are not seized.
I'm wondering if the handbrake cable may not be moving as it should.
When it's dry, if ever, I'll check with the brake inspection covers off.
I've now got the rear cables just incase.
I'll report back on here later :)

Back