General Multipla for sale: Multijet 120 Eleganza

Currently reading:
General Multipla for sale: Multijet 120 Eleganza

Dermot

Hi all,
I tried to post this on the 'for sale' part of the forum but I think I need a valid UK post code and phone!

Anyway, if there are any Multipla fanatics from Ireland looking in and are interested in a two owner Multijet Eleganza model with a totally complete service history up to its current 184k miles, please let me know!

We bought from Arnold Clarke in Ayr as a 2 year old with 25k on the clock and re-registered it in Ireland where we have been the sole owners since. It has never failed us, although the usual of front track control arms, ARB bushes, drop links and rear trailing arms, have been replaced as required. Clutch and DMF and thermostat replaced at 135k miles. 2nd timing belt and water pump at 154k miles.
It drives well and has the nicer looking dark facia and upholstery.

Any good homes available?

Just to say too that the forum has been an excellent resource at all times for service and repair info as I have tackled most repairs myself (except the clutch!) with Forum support. While I have purchased a B class Merc (with 1.5 Renault diesel!), I am sure I will be back to Fiat at some stage. My famliy has a long history: 124, 131 x3, Tipo x 2, Bravo, Stilo (parents) and for myself: 127, 131, Multipla Mk1 and Multipla Mk2.

Bye for now
Dermot

Attachments

• multi 1.jpg
    multi 1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Muti 8.jpg
    Muti 8.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Multi 3.jpg
    Multi 3.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Multi 2.jpg
    Multi 2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Multi 5.jpg
    Multi 5.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 40
Sorry to hear you're moving on Dermot. I'd be interested to hear a comparison between the B Class Merc and the Multipla, when you've had a chance to gather your thoughts!

All the best, Matt

Thanks WMF,
Well I am not gone yet as the Multipla refuses to leave! Also I have a son with a 2002 Punto and another son pretty close to buying one. Those Puntos are about the cheapest cars to buy and run on the road so I will be visiting the Forum.

B class (post 2011 model) vs Multipla?
Well a strange comparison really. Firstly as you may find out, I am a Multipla fan! I believe there has been no other really novel car for the masses developed in decades. Even today's plethora of SUVs and crossovers, despite their muscular but curvy looks, and unique body shapes (e.g Toyota CHR), really have just a standard 'me-too' design beneath a fashionable body shape. But the Multipla, designed with functionality in mind in terms of space, visibility and ease of use, but also with a design flair that was second to none! Enough of that - back to the comparison.

Space:
The B class is very roomy for 4 with good seats and the rear seat passengers feet can comfortably go beneath the front seats in a way that's not normally achieved, but the 5th passenger has not such a roomy space and there is no 6th space! You all know the Multipla wins hands down on accommodating passengers! In fairness though the 4 in the B class will be more comfortable than the first 4 in the Multipla. The B class boot is a better shape than the Multipla's and it's larger, although if you want space and 3 seats, removing the rear seats makes the Multipla very versatile in space carrying terms.

Driving:
OK the B class does have a nice comfortable driving position with quite good visibility - pedals are quite offset to the right though. But to be honest, we miss the excellent gear lever position and the exceptional visibility all round. The Multipla really is the easier car to position on the road or when parking, due to its short length and exceptional visibility from the driver's seat. The B class handles quite well with fairly neutral manners, but like many modern cars, you have very little steering feel and you always have to watch your driving line. While the Multipla in diesel form tends to understeer, when you get used to it, it's quite chuckable on windy roads and you will always know what the front wheels are doing.

Mechanical:
For sure the B class is your typical modern diesel engine: it feels a little over-controlled by electronics (probably for emissions) and when mated to a very highly geared transmission, you can actually stall it! If you stall a Multipla diesel, you really have done something stupid. Overall the Multipla has the more tractable engine, but most modern diesels feel like the B class.

Quality etc:
OK I have to admit, the B class wins easily here - but well it should - for what it is, its much more expensive than the Multipla!

Will we miss the Multipla:
Yes, oh yes. I have always been a car nut and one that is not too much over-sold by brand image. In fact I have always loved the opportunity to champion the cause of the slightly different, or to remind people that their exclusive brand is perhaps not what they think! Like who developed the common rail diesel - no not Bosch, but Fiat ! Or who makes the newest small diesel in Mercedes cars - Renault !! So our B class has a Dacia engine!

Forums
The MB forums are not a patch on the Fiat forum; nothing like the practical help available.

Finally
Yes we (well I) will miss our Multipla terribly; there is nothing like it and probably never will be. But the B class is a nice car and I'm sure we will like it...... Really we will! ...... Eventually!

Dermot

Back