Technical Multipla Clutch

Currently reading:
Technical Multipla Clutch

klang180

Hi you fiat people (especially Multipla mates)

The clutch on my 03 diesel multipla is very cloe to th floor (always has been).

Do you think bleeding it may help?

And has anybody any experience/advice as to how to go about this?

Ihop someone out there can advice?

Thanks

I suspect that means the clutch is close to needing replacing, but you could try this - I don't guarantee it, but it might be worth trying. (Works with brakes, not certain about clutches - anyone....?)

With the gears in neutral pump the clutch pedal down and up as hard and fast as you can then immediately put it down, into first and let the clutch up as you would normally.

If there's air in the pipe it should work further off the floor as the air has been compressed. It will go back to its usual feel afterwards as the air expands and pushes fluid back into teh reservoir.

If it's still the same, then I think it's clutch plate worn out.

This happened to my Multipla, 2002 115bhp diesel. Exactly as you describe.
Its not the clutch, which is a good thing as the clutch is anywhere between £600 and £800 fitted!!!
Its the clutch master cylinder. In the cylinder is a spring that keeps the pedal up. It breaks and hence the pedal falls until there is no movement left in the clutch.
Only available as a genuine Fiat part, and its a terrible job...unless.....search this forum for multipla clutch, there is a message about the best way to repair from inside the car. That is, leave the housing on the bulkhead as its unreachable. Its all in the forum....i'll look later and perhaps add the link.
My garage followed these instructions and hey presto, clutch fixed in about an hour....£120 later. But they did gve me a discount cos i showed them this page.....

Don't replace the clutch...it will be the same.

Mal

Thank you for taking the time to reply malnik,
I'll certainly try to take your advice regarding the clutch (though I'm new to the site and am having problems navigating to the article you mentioned in the forum).
However I'll persevere and once more my thanks.
Regards,
b

Thankks John,
I'll certainly give it a try.
My thanks again for taking the trouble,
REgards,
b

Thanks again,
I've found the article and will give it a go.
Shame about having to disconnect brake servo.
I might just trying bleeding first but I think you are right in your diagnosis.
Thanks again,
b

I ask this because of malniks comment about the spring - do you mean that the pedal is always near the floor, or that the pedal is normally high up (roughly in line with the brake pedal) and you have to push it right down to the floor to disengage it.

(I partly ask this becasue our clutch biting point is right down on the floor; the pedal at rest is high up; I suspect that, as we've done 62000m that it is the clutch that needs doing :-( )

John

I ask this because of malniks comment about the spring - do you mean that the pedal is always near the floor, or that the pedal is normally high up (roughly in line with the brake pedal) and you have to push it right down to the floor to disengage it.

(I partly ask this becasue our clutch biting point is right down on the floor; the pedal at rest is high up; I suspect that, as we've done 62000m that it is the clutch that needs doing :-( )

John

Ours has done a similar mileage and recently needed a clutch.

They are high pressure and 60,000 is about right apparently, we spent £500+ getting it done, after hopefully pissing about bleeding and replacing the slave cylinder.

There was wear left on the friction plates but the springs in the centre were worn and it wasn't disengaging properly.

These cars are not cheap to maintain.

Sorry...been away.
If your pedal is always high the biting point is low when its pressed...its the clutch.
If the pedal is low....and can only be pressed a little and cant change/engage gears....more likely the cylinder spring. Mine started slowly. That is i had more chance of changing gear when i first started. But if i used the clutch a lot....after a few minutes......no movement left and no chance to change gear.

Mine has done 82000 miles....and the clutch is fine. About 40mpg at 70. Drops off rapidly to about 33 at 80mph and 28 at 90mph.
Good car only let down by my seats fading.....

Mal

Thanks again regarding Multip[la Clutch.
The clarification is really useful as my original explanation was not clear.
The clutch 'at rest' is roughly alongside the brake pedal 'at rest'.
However the grab point is about an inch from the floor (if that).
The mileage is coming up to 60,000 but I didn't have the vehicle from new. I'm historically light on clutches but who knows what the first owner was like!
Looks like the clutch mechanism needs repalcing (ouch). I only trust the flywheel is okay (another problem encountered I understand).
Anyway thanks for the info.

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble.
It looks like the internal clutch mechanism!!!
(groans).
I love the vehicle but wonder if the mechanics are stretched somewhat by the body (notwithstanding the spaceframe chassis).
I rerally don't want to have to buy reliable Japanese...especially as they still hunt the whale!
Thanks again.

Thank you John, you spotted the lack of detail which will probably save me lying on my back under a very cold Multipla.
It looks as if my wallet will be getting a cold instead.
Regards

Curses, was hoping a Master or Slave cylinder might fix this. :cry: If anyone has an update suggesting a cheaper fix (high pedal, low / incomplete disengage) I'd appreciate it.

Just limped home from france, with clutch getting worse all the way, so bad had to re-learn double de clutching which I haven't done for 25 years, and can only now select first or reverse by switching engine off first. Coming shortly after a wastegate actuator seizing which required recon turbo (as parts non serviceable) this is turning into an expensive car. (n) Shame as I love the space / packaging and have even come to like to wacky looks. Just the ways it's put together that lets it down.

Anyone know a reasonable non franchise fiat expert in Newport South Wales area, as dealer is v. expensive, and took two goes to fix a minor oil leak last time it was in, despite me telling them where the leak was!!!:bang:

Anyone know a reasonable non franchise fiat expert in Newport South Wales area, as dealer is v. expensive, and took two goes to fix a minor oil leak last time it was in, despite me telling them where the leak was!!!:bang:

You could try Alpha & Yapps for a quote.
They seem competent (I've been using them for eight years), and have one or two staff as members on here.
Not a cheap backstreet outfit, but they might save you some money over the franchised dealer.

http://www.alphayapps.co.uk/

Back