Technical MultiEcuScan sorely trying my patience!

Currently reading:
Technical MultiEcuScan sorely trying my patience!

PLEASE NOTE! the only way I found to put the full message of this post on here is as a zip file- there must be a better way, but not aware of it; the text is here readable, but the screenshots referred to are in the .zip along with the text, I can only save it as a Rich Text Document or .doc, which loses the pix. Anyone knows how to put screen shots on, pls point me to where I can find out how. DOH! Cheers.

♕ ♕ ♕ ♕ ♕ ♕ ♕ ♕ ♕ ♕ ♕ ♕

Ok folks,, in case this helps, I have put some screen grabs here in case anyone can spot anything untoward that needs to be changed. This all relates to the kkl lead of course, as plugged in to laptop, but NOT yet connected to the vehicle.

One issue I get, is the in the 'port settings' tab of the com 11 usb/serial, is the speed keeps resetting to 9600 (which IMHO is fast enough?), does it need to be 115000, and do I need flow control on or off? Default is 'off' and not tried anything else.

In the 4th screen shot, what is 'load vcp', and should it be ticked (is it load Virtual Com port)? This should cover all the hardware variables, there is a rs232 serial on the machine used for the screen shots, but not on the laptop used in the vehicle, so can't adjust fifo buffers on that, but I can on the one used here which is my desktop PC at home.

Can a kkl lead be used with a usb lead extender, I have an active one. My worry is complicating things! Cheers to all our readers!!

Attachments

• kkl_etc.zip
    438.4 KB · Views: 30
You're using 2.12.24.0 which isn't going to work with a fake ftdi as I linked you directly to a driver that should work.

H Corcai,,,, this the one?
FTDI CDM Drivers 2.08.30
Have dl'd it and will try tomorrow. Thx.
Corcai, I had that 2.08.30 driver in before, and was just the same. I read one of the links you posted about FTDI and fake chips being bricked or corrupted by FTDi drivers when used with the fakes, I wonder if that is a possibility? Any better in fact than the one from 2004 in the cd that came with the lead? Merry Christmas! (cos it will be by the time I have this fixed!!)

Have now cut to the chase, and been to Gendan for yet another kkl lead and adaptors. Here we go once more...
BTW, where in the pc does the driver for the lead reside after installing? I looked in windows/system32/drivers and not there.
anyone know where I should look- just want to get previous versions out of the machine just in case.

Have now cut to the chase, and been to Gendan for yet another kkl lead and adaptors. Here we go once more...
BTW, where in the pc does the driver for the lead reside after installing? I looked in windows/system32/drivers and not there.
anyone know where I should look- just want to get previous versions out of the machine just in case.

Open device manager, click view, click show hidden devices, right click each ftdi port, uninstall device reboot.

Depending on your version of windows and settings it may go off an install a whql version when you plug it in again but if you right click device in device manager -> update device driver -> manually install a driver -> let me pick

you should be able to see the older version there and select it.

Cheers Corcai,, I will do so, just looking on my dektop pc but no ftdi ports listed, which is not surprising as the lead an't plugged in will try it shortly then do the same on the laptop i will be using. thanx mate.

Update,, just checked on the desktop with lead plugged in, no ftdi ports anywhere, even in usb system devices, with hidden ones shown. however, driver for the lead is shown as ftdi, from sept. 2016, so that should be it, good to go when the laptop is config'd likewise. Cheers

Last edited:
no ftdi ports anywhere, even in usb system devices, with hidden ones shown. however, driver for the lead is shown as ftdi

The one with the ftdi driver *is* the ftdi port

from sept. 2016, so that should be it

Again that is the WHQL driver 2.12.24 from Microsoft. If your ftdi is genuine then no problem if your ftdi is fake the you have to force windows to use the driver I linked you to by using the instructions I gave you above.

Furthermore if you have at any stage used driver version v2.11.00 or v2.12.00 and your ftdi is fake it will be temporarily bricked by having the product id set to 0000. You can check by:

right clicking on it in device manager->click properties->click details->select Hardware ids in the drop down

You should see something like this:
USB\VID_0403&PID_6001&MI_00
or this:
USB\VID_0403&PID_6010&MI_00
if you see a PID of 0000 like this you need to debrick:
USB\VID_0403&PID_0000&MI_00

debrick instructions:
https://ljck.org/unbrick_ftdi

Thank you mate,, I will dig tomorrow. Not bothered re bricking, I have what should be the genuine item now as it is from Gendan. Not going to pull it apart as it will invalidate the warranty, the other 2 leads are not ftdi chips, they are no name. (apart from TI logo, which in itself is prob fake too!). Thanks and I will post results, as soon as I have some.

Well, threw everything at this problem now, all genuine kit, right drivers, right sttings, and no change at all. just getting occaisonal engine ecu connection, sometimes. It's time to go to fiat. absolutely gutted. Thanx t all wh hpd me.....cheers.

Just as I woke up this morning,, I thought "what if the vehicle is not fitted with the expected ABS unit,(Bosch ABS 5.3, or 5.3 ASR) as fitted to the regular vans?". Would MES throw up an erroer code or just fail to connect? (as it indeed does). This MoHo is a tag axle (6 wheel) job, so I feel a call to Fiat with the vin and an enquiry to the van builder (Burstner), to try and find out. Wish me luck!!

There was no other version fitted, I have connected many times without issue to the 5.3 abs, never seen one with asr.

With bosch abs 5.3 most common faults are the bond wires internally cracking or falling over and shorting.

But since you can't connect reliably to the ecu either and it all coincided with the battery being changed its more lightly to be something related to that such as off the top of my head:

corroded / loose earths
bad connection / corrosion in on battery fusebox
damaged alternator regulator spewing noise / wrong voltage
corrosion / water ingress in fuse box
other damaged / worn loom
or maybe you tried jump starting it from smart alternator vehicle or booster pack and spiked the abs / ecu etc with 21v (I went to buy a ducato from a bus company once battery was flat and and the mechanic put the booster pack on it set to 24v by accident - that was the shortest vehicle inspection I've ever done!)

Last edited:
Just as I woke up this morning,, I thought "what if the vehicle is not fitted with the expected ABS unit,(Bosch ABS 5.3, or 5.3 ASR) as fitted to the regular vans?". Would MES throw up an erroer code or just fail to connect? (as it indeed does). This MoHo is a tag axle (6 wheel) job, so I feel a call to Fiat with the vin and an enquiry to the van builder (Burstner), to try and find out. Wish me luck!!

Hi,
If you plug in MES and press F11 or click "SCAN" (lower right of main page) it will scan for and list any modules it can find on the vehicle.
It does look like you have avehicle issue rather than a diagnostics one.

Robert G8RPI.

There was no other version fitted, I have connected many times without issue to the 5.3 abs, never seen one with asr.

With bosch abs 5.3 most common faults are the bond wires internally cracking or falling over and shorting.

But since you can't connect reliably to the ecu either and it all coincided with the battery being changed its more lightly to be something related to that such as off the top of my head:

corroded / loose earths
bad connection / corrosion in on battery fusebox
damaged alternator regulator spewing noise / wrong voltage
corrosion / water ingress in fuse box
other damaged / worn loom
or maybe you tried jump starting it from smart alternator vehicle or booster pack and spiked the abs / ecu etc with 21v (I went to buy a ducato from a bus company once battery was flat and and the mechanic put the booster pack on it set to 24v by accident - that was the shortest vehicle inspection I've ever done!)
Well this one has indeed got (or had, lol) ASR, assuming it is 5.3. I asked Alko as the chassis makers if the unit is different to the vans- I have found them usually unhelpful. all Fiat can do is give me a part number. And cost!
All the fuse boxes on the vehicle are like new. I did not have a jump pack on the vehicle, just flogged the dying battery until the new one went on, so no over volt issues. Wiring too all looks mint. Its an A class and lives indoors (sort of). It has happened, whatever 'it' might be. either while sat in storage or during the battery shenanigans. I have booked it in to Fiats for next wednesday, it needs a new reverse light switch too at the same time. Which will likely mean I am looking for a new airfilter box too, as I can't get the top off the current one, the screwheads are rusy and hard to get a decent screwdriver grip on due to lack of room. being buried under the front bodywork , see- but the upside is it keeps the weather etc. off the gubbins inside! Cheers.

Hi,
If you plug in MES and press F11 or click "SCAN" (lower right of main page) it will scan for and list any modules it can find on the vehicle.
It does look like you have avehicle issue rather than a diagnostics one.

Robert G8RPI.

Robert,, I have wrung this software out by now, and tried any way I can think of, or seen on here, and read the instructions, and it will sullenly not connect. The engine ecu can be connected a bit easier, and strange (it seems to me) also connects when the green adaptor lead is on! I thought it would 'miss' the engine ecu with the abs adaptor, like it would (should it?) miss the abs ecu with just the kkl on its own. I tried that, too, in case you are wondering. Cheers.

Gendan green adapter is same as muktiecuscan adapter 1 connects 1,7,9,12 so you get abs and ecu.

That explains it then! cheers. Incidentlly, fiat, Burstner and Alko are now playing pass the parcel over i.d.-ing the units fitted, as expected. At least they are reliable!!

Thinking (it hurts) I will check the ASR light in the instrument cluster, dsnotcome on and go off on key on. Also it does not light up when turning ASR off at the switch. I wondered if it is throwing up the other 2 lights , as if the bulb was blown (assuming it is a bulb and not a led like the ABS light), how would a fault be indicated? I wiil look in the manual and try to find out.

Back