Technical MultiEcuScan detecting diesel Ducato as 'Gasoline'...

Currently reading:
Technical MultiEcuScan detecting diesel Ducato as 'Gasoline'...

JimmE

Having changed the radio and removed the 'blue & me' in my 2013 Ducato (2.3L diesel, 130hp, automatic) I now have the 'flashing odometer' and need to tell the vehicle body ECU that these modules no longer exist.

This can be done using Multiecuscan and a suitable OBD cable, and adapter, to connect the computer to the vehicle diagnostic port, and running a "PROXI alignment".

I've purchased the relevant cable, adapter and software. When I access the PROXI alignment feature in the software, it correctly detects the missing radio and blue&me module. However on the screen before I run the alignment, it shows my vehicle as 'Gasoline' with engine 'Type 4/1.3 Mutlijet'.

The vehicle selection I made at the start of the process was 'Fiat Ducato (type 250) Facelift 2.3 Mutlijet' - and it correctly detects my ECU type, etc.

I dont' want to potentially write incorrect information into the ECU - but at the same time I don't want to change/interfere with settings which are not related to what I'm trying to do!

Has anyone else had this issue? Did you "correct" the value or leave it as-is?

What I'm unsure of is:
Does this screen 'read' values from the vehicle and show you the current config, or does it load 'default' values based on the vehicle you selected?
Does this feature write the entire config as displayed on the screen at that point, or does it only update settings you've changed on the screen prior to running the PROXI alignment?
Was surprised not to see any other posts online about anyone else having the same issue as me - hence I guess it is possible that for some reason my vehicle is configured incorrectly. However I don't want to risk causing new issues so thought I'd check.

Has anyone else with a 2010-2014 ducato used MES and seen this issue? Or is yours detected correctly? Any thoughts on the questions above?

engine-png.503183

settings-png.503184

Last edited:
It reads the values from the BCM on the vehicle. If you initiate a proxi-alignment without making any changes it rewrites the same file to the BCM and distributes it to the slave nodes on the network. If you make changes to the configuration and initiate the proxi-alignment procedure it writes the new file to the BCM and the slave nodes.

My van showed as "gasoline" direct from the factory. It also reports having a Selespeed gearbox, whereas it is manual, and drive type (RHD/LHD) is undefined. I changed the engine type to diesel and it made absolutely no difference at all.

My conclusion is that either those bytes in the proxi file are not used by the Ducato, and/or MES is misinterpreting values used on other models.

If it helps these are the first part of my proxi file. Byte 42 seems to define the engine type. "11" is gasoline and "51" is diesel, but as I say it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever on my 2.3 MJ X290, and "11" was the default value from the factory.

30 38 32 35 30 32 37 33 36 36 36 4F 55 54 50 55 54 44 4A 49 54 20 16 04 29 4B 10 00 05 10 00 00 00 09 00 00 04 10 00 00 00 11

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

30 38 32 35 30 32 37 33 36 36 36 4F 55 54 50 55 54 44 4A 49 54 20 16 04 29 4B 10 00 05 10 00 00 00 09 00 00 04 10 00 00 00 51

Many thanks, good to know!

I actually got the following response from MES support yesterday - effectively confirming the same, that it is no longer used on this specific vehicle:

The PROXI option “engine type” which is set to “gasoline” in your Ducato was used in some older models to configure the Instrument Cluster rpm indicator and various lights for diesel/gasoline engines. It seems that the newer clusters do not use this option as there is a separate option which configures the exact type of engine.

Leaving this as “gasoline” or changing to “diesel” should not affect your car.

PROXI Alignment now completed, with no issues :)

Back