General multicoloured LED wiring angel rings!

Currently reading:
General multicoloured LED wiring angel rings!

hi all,

i want to make some of my angel rings for off road use which are 2 coloured

I can get the same LED's that i normally use to make them...but these are blue and red changeable in one LED

normally i wire my angel ring LED's in parallel one terminal is earth and the other positive and then i wire them to the sidelight wires to switch on with the sidelights

But these 2 coloured (red and blue) LED's have 3 terminals...im guessing one for earth and one for red live to shine red and one for blue live to shine blue

I can wire one live terminal to the sidelight wires to switch on when sidelights are on (blue on with sidelights) but where would i wire the second live terminal because i need to somehow cut the power to the sidelight terminal and only power the second terminal (red)

The only way i can think of right now is if i wire them on seperate toggle switches to flick on and off without the sideligths being activated...because if one terminal is on sidelights then i would have to turn the sidelights off before activating the second terminal for colour change

if you know what i mean haha

Use the existing switch with a change-over switch in series to swap from red to blue.

You probably need white sidelghts as well as the blue angel lights.

But be careful as red might be illegal. Its certainly illegal to show red at the front of a car (as its illegal to show white at the rear).

Use the existing switch with a change-over switch in series to swap from red to blue.

But be careful as red might be illegal. Its certainly illegal to show red at the front of a car (as its illegal to show white at the rear).

He said it's for off-road use only so s'all good and legal! (y)
So long as he isn't telling porkies! :p But then again who cares!

Sorry mate but whats a change over switch? do i run both red live terminal and blue live terminal to the switch then run a wire from the switch to the sidelight power feed?

and yeh is for off road use only goin to a couple of shows in local area and well wanna show off haha

That is so dodgy, someone could easily try and impersonate an unmarked police car by putting em on a switch! Although I don't think theres much chance of police using a chavved up punto :p

Constantly on blue marker lights are not illegal - we see them all the time. I was on about the reds.

But for shows why not sounds good.

I dont have a suitable drawing package so bear with me.

Normal wiring goes to the side light (Halo LED) but you get red or blue.

Cut the wire to the light and extend it back into the cabin.

Install a 3 contact switch which has 2 positions - NO centre off.

Connect the extended sidelight wire to new switch contact #1

Connect a wire from contact #2 to one LED and contact #3 to the other LED.

When you switch on your lights you will have red or blue halos depending which way the new changeover switch is set. Switch must not have a centre off as that will allow you to set no side lights at all. However if you want to keep the old side lights you could use a centre off switch, but it could all get very complicated.

It means quite a lot of wire running into and out of the cabin but LEDs draw minimal current so no worries just keep it neat. You will have to take off the driver's side wheel arch liner to find the cable exit grommet going through the cabin bulkhead.

MS Word attachment might help. Ive not drawn in a warning light LED for the dash but a blue / red on the dash would allow you to know what the car is showing outside.

Attachments

• Wiring changeover switch.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I think you must have white side lights; suspect additional blue markers may be legal. Red at the front is deffo illegal.

thanks mate doesnt sound as hard as i thort now...i know of a grommet to feed the wiring through as i already have for my neons

Il just buy the switch and wiring is easy :)

Considering the legal issues you get with coloured side lights white/blue/red LEDS would be a better bet with 3 way switch.

Back