Technical Mta gearbox

Currently reading:
Technical Mta gearbox

Okay failed with question, it is can this vehicle with this gearbox be towed, as according to Fiat owners handbook, selecting neutral allows the vehicle to be towed as a manual vehicle.

Okay failed with question, it is can this vehicle with this gearbox be towed, as according to Fiat owners handbook, selecting neutral allows the vehicle to be towed as a manual vehicle.
yes, if its not broken = ) Once my fiat transmission broke in gear and there was no way to put it manual, so it had to be towed with the front wheels above the ground = ) When it got to dealership, they put a bit of transmission dualogic fluid in to put it in neutral = )

Update, Fiat tec say they can't sanction towing, although it is permissable to tow in neutral, they say long term testing hasn't been done so they say tow only in emergency.

Update, Fiat tec say they can't sanction towing, although it is permissable to tow in neutral, they say long term testing hasn't been done so they say tow only in emergency.

Perhaps the concern is that if the 'box were to somehow autoshift into a gear whilst being towed, then in addition to causing catastrophic damage to the powertrain, it could also result in a nasty accident. Even if the probability is tiny, from a risk management perspective it's an unacceptable scenario, so no surprise that Fiat won't sanction this.

It also sounds like an expensive car to be taking risks with.

Whatever your problem, I hope you get it fixed without too much hassle or expense.

Last edited:
Perhaps the concern is that if the 'box were to somehow autoshift into a gear whilst being towed, then in addition to causing catastrophic damage to the powertrain, it could also result in a nasty accident. Even if the probability is tiny, from a risk management perspective it's an unacceptable scenario, so no surprise that Fiat won't sanction this.

It also sounds like an expensive car to be taking risks with.

Whatever your problem, I hope you get it fixed without too much hassle or expense.
i dont think the box can autoshift once its in neutral with the engine off, as there is no power for it to do so. It's electronically operated after all.

i dont think the box can autoshift once its in neutral with the engine off, as there is no power for it to do so. It's electronically operated after all.

I'd agree it's highly unlikely, but the final link in any gear change mechanism is mechanical, and it might just be possible for something to slip while it's being towed. Even a one-in-a-million chance would probably be sufficient for this not to be sanctioned by Fiat.

I'd agree it's highly unlikely, but the final link in any gear change mechanism is mechanical, and it might just be possible for something to slip while it's being towed. Even a one-in-a-million chance would probably be sufficient for this not to be sanctioned by Fiat.
maybe fiat shouldnt have made a rubbish gearbox to avoid that possibility happening in the first place = )

The provision for towing might be fine for the rare occasion to get it to the garage or if it has broken down and you need to move it around, but towing long distance behind a motor home is a different matter.

Back