General MPG for a punto

Currently reading:
General MPG for a punto

rich hemmings

ok for some time i have been reading about MPG and I want to know how many MPG will i get from a punto 3 door petrol engine??? (from a full tank)

I know i wont be doing much but i just want to know.

please help me

thanks

rich :cool: :cool:

Last edited:
You mean you want to know how to work it out?
Go to the garage, fill the car up. Reset your trip counter.
Drive around as normal.
When the tank is nearly empty, go back to the garage and fill up again. Make a note of the mileage, and how much fuel went in the car.
Then divide your mileage by the number of litres put in the car. Then multiply by 4.546. This will give you your MPG.
H

It doesn't matter how much fuel there is in it it still does the same mpg ;)

I don't know what motor yours is, but my 1.2 8v mk2 does about 48mpg, 50+ on the motorway. My 1.1 mk1 used to do about 30-35mpg.

Dr_Pepper said:
It doesn't matter how much fuel there is in it it still does the same mpg ;)
That is true, but you need a baseline for before and after measurements. A full tank is the easiest way to do this.
My coop does about 26 mpg.
H

According to the trip computer on my Punto I get anywhere between 42 and 62 mpg, depending on the type of driving. If i really give it a good kicking it goes down to about 35mpg. 48mpg is usually about normal though for the shortish journeys that i do. Thes mostly consist of driving to work and back ( 12 each way) and general pootling about in my local area. I usually don't go much above 85mph on local Dual carriageways and normally stick to around 45 - 65 on my local twisty country roads. I am extremely happy with both the performance of this little car and its fuel consumption, especially compared to the 1.6 16v Brava it replaced.

Last edited:
hmallett said:
That is true, but you need a baseline for before and after measurements. A full tank is the easiest way to do this.
I know mate I didn't see your post - I was replying to the original post :)

The Negotiator said:
He doesn't own a punto so he can't do this.
Right, I didn't realise this from the post. So the real question is "how many mpg will I get from a car I don't own?". The answer is somewhere between 0 and infinity mpg, depending upon loads of factors.
H

I just thought he meant - how many mpg's do punto's get. I did think it was a bit odd not to then put the car! I don't think 3 doors do any more mpg than 5 doors:D

So we await rich hemmings to clarify the question!

Dr_Pepper said:
... My 1.1 mk1 used to do about 30-35mpg.

So it's not just mine that's a thirsty little f***er for a 1.1 then! I usually get 90 miles out of a ten quid fillup, that's about 33mpg. Appalling for that size engine, and it doesn't make much difference whether I drive carefully or full-throttle everywhere.
I reckon that when I get the Capri on the road (in a week or 2 ;) ) it'll be better on petrol than the Fiat.

So it's not just mine that's a thirsty little f***er for a 1.1 then!
I was always dissapointed with it - one of the reasons I got shot of it. It annoyed me that my old uno 1.0, which was another 7 years older than the punto, was faster (because it was lighter) and also did a few more mpg.

thanks for that and NO I DON'T OWN A PUNTO YET I JUST WANTED TO KNOW. I AM TRYING TO PLUG ALL THE HOLES SO WHEN I T COMES TO ME BUYING A PUNTO (THOUCH WOOD AT THE END OF THE YEAR) I KNOW QUITE A LOT ABOUT THE CAR ALL READY

THNAKS

RICH

wolfracepunto said:
49mpg easily, mixed driving. Ive put in 20quid and am on 210miles with about two lines to go :D Best thing I ever did was take those 17s off.

thank you a anwser that i was looking for a nice streight awser

thanks

rich

39 mpg is the worst - only doing 2-3 miles at a time around town. About 45-48 mpg on out of town motoring (55S, 90k miles, 5 drs) unless your are hammering it.

Tank = 10.5 gals top to dry, so you should be able to see > 400 miles on fill up.

Don'y forget that BP Ultimate/Shell will clean your injectors etc and give better mpg than Asda/Morrisons cr@p

Dr_Pepper said:
I was always dissapointed with it - one of the reasons I got shot of it. It annoyed me that my old uno 1.0, which was another 7 years older than the punto, was faster (because it was lighter) and also did a few more mpg.

True - my 1.0 uno did about 47-50mpg on average. The cinq also does about 43ish. I cant see why the punto 1.1 would be in the low 30's, as after all its the same engine. Must be down to weight but then the punto isn't that heavy is it? the uno and cinq are around 750kg ish i think

Phil

my car is a '99 v plate MK1 punto and does around 100 miles on a £10 topup, wherever i go, (Shell, BP) that's driving around in Liverpool, 30/40mph, not ragging it,to and from mine and her work, 3 and 5 miles respectively each way.

Mind you i dont let my tank go below 1/4 of a tank and so i could probably get more for my £10 quid, maybe an extra 10/20 miles.

Back