General Moving the battery to the boot

Currently reading:
General Moving the battery to the boot

i wouldnt run it outside, why drill more holes in the shell if you don't need them?

cable wise, 170A is the stuff i'd be looking at. its only a couple of quid a metre and you only need 3 so why skimp??

Sure its unlikely to explode, but breathing hydrogen can't be too good for you, especially if it splits in a rear end crash.

RallyCinq, what are the official rules for mounting batteries for rallying? Do they have to be in a box with a vent? If not, I guess all is good....if its ok for rally, its certainly good enough for road.

Kristian

Sure its unlikely to explode, but breathing hydrogen can't be too good for you, especially if it splits in a rear end crash.

It's pretty harmless stuff, like Argon or Helium, you won't live if you're breathing it pure, but it's not toxic at all. IIRC it's used -- in conjunction with oxygen and other gases -- in immersion diving. And it's not going to marvellously appear in huge quantities if the battery splits as it is simply a product of the charging process.

When i moved the battery to the boot everything I purchased for extending the +ve cable came from here http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/category/24 though so long ago now I can't remember exactly which gauge of cable I used. I reused the original Fiat -ve cable in the boot and used the anchor point for the back seat as point of earthing, worked out a treat. Again as seen on Arc's pictures there is a cable run in the car already on driver side which is rather convenient.

the Cinq is same as Sei in that it has 2 +ve cables, I just used a cable joiner.

I also did not use a bulk head fitting, i know someone who has a 30+ year old Clan Crusader, rear engined, battery in front and its cable has been fine going through bulk head with a decent grommet. yes maybe for competition use I would use one, road use didn't see the need.

Battery box I purchased off ebay but Rat Sport who advertise on this very site after seeing my install bulk ordered similar/the same boxes and use my (old now Fingers car) car as a picture on there site to show it fitted. This of course was done with my permission when I owned it.

Aaron.

Last edited:
Back