General Moving Off

Currently reading:
General Moving Off

PuntoSS

Established member
Ok, so tonight I had 4 passengers in my car. When trying to move off in first, the car didn't seem to want to move, although it does move.
It seemed like it was grinding or gripping or struggling to move off.

I know it's not the clutch because I'm not having to rev more to move off, and I also had 2 passengers in my car at the weekend and it was fine.

Tonight, however, I had 3 passengers (probably weighed a bit more than the passengers I had at the weekend) and it was grinding/gripping when moving off in 1st gear.

So afterwards, I took it for a drive round the block on its own, with the window down to see if I could hear anything unusual, and everything seemed kocher, except for squeaky brakes and on some small-ish hills, I heard a creaking sound.

So if anyone can offer any advice on these problems, I'd appreciate, thanks! :)

I know it judders sometimes when I don't quite get the biting point right, but today it was grinding, almost like the wheel arch was grinding against the tyre! :p

What car is it? Is it just a 1.2 8v? looks like it from the pics.

If so then with 4 people in it will seem sluggish. Mine always did. Also I had a sub and amp in the boot so tyre's used to catch the arches when I hit a slight bump. Should be fine, just let them drive ou around next time (y)

I'll go for binding rear brakes!

I'll go for binding rear brakes!
Wasn't sluggish when they got out though? Its literally a power to weight issue. when you only have a few BHP to start with, and then pile (4x13 stone is about average?) 53 stone of extra weight in its going to be sluggish.

And believe me I used to go camping in mine, when it was full it was horrible, had to rev it harder to get it to move withouth it feeling like it was going to stall.

Wasn't sluggish when they got out though? Its literally a power to weight issue. when you only have a few BHP to start with, and then pile (4x13 stone is about average?) 53 stone of extra weight in its going to be sluggish.

And believe me I used to go camping in mine, when it was full it was horrible, had to rev it harder to get it to move withouth it feeling like it was going to stall.

Aye I accept thats an issue dude, but
"it was grinding or gripping or struggling to move off".

And "grinding/gripping when moving off in 1st gear".

Plus "everything seemed kocher, except for squeaky brakes and on some small-ish hills, I heard a creaking sound".

All sound like the rears are binding to me, made worse by the combined passenger pork... ;)

Back