motorbikes

Currently reading:
motorbikes

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
CBT is compulsory before you get issued with a provisional licence. Also worth bearing in mind that a full driving licence USED to give you unlimited learner motorcycle entitlement. This was withdrawn a few years ago, and was also withdrawn from all EXISTING full car licences. A lot of people didn't know this as it was publicised very badly by the Government, so drivers with an old licence would still have learner motorcycle entitlement included but legally are not allowed to ride a leaner motorbike on a full car licence. Even though their licence says they can. Stupid I know...

If you are under 21 and you pass your motorcycle test you are restricted to 33bhp for two years (I think), and also 500cc or less. If you are over 21 you can take the test on bike over 500cc and over 33bhp and this will give you an unrestricted licence straight away. Thing is, you are ONLY allowed to ride a bike over 33bhp whilst learning if accompanied by a qualified instructer.

Luckily for me I passed my bike test in December 1987 so have full motorcycle entitlement and didn't have to go through all the hassle (y)

1986Uno45S said:
CBT is compulsory before you get issued with a provisional licence. Also worth bearing in mind that a full driving licence USED to give you unlimited learner motorcycle entitlement. This was withdrawn a few years ago, and was also withdrawn from all EXISTING full car licences. A lot of people didn't know this as it was publicised very badly by the Government, so drivers with an old licence would still have learner motorcycle entitlement included but legally are not allowed to ride a leaner motorbike on a full car licence. Even though their licence says they can. Stupid I know...

If you are under 21 and you pass your motorcycle test you are restricted to 33bhp for two years (I think), and also 500cc or less. If you are over 21 you can take the test on bike over 500cc and over 33bhp and this will give you an unrestricted licence straight away. Thing is, you are ONLY allowed to ride a bike over 33bhp whilst learning if accompanied by a qualified instructer.

Luckily for me I passed my bike test in December 1987 so have full motorcycle entitlement and didn't have to go through all the hassle (y)

that's all correct :)

paulbfd said:
Motorbikes are ace though and you automatically become uber-cool (example left!)
and have random foot injuries! :D

but seriously, get a bike, but make sure you're sturdy on a push-bike first... they say you never forget how to ride a bike, but the truth is, the longer since you last rode one the more flaky your balance is.

bulldog5046 said:
cheers for that, seems i cant have anything over a 125 anyways

If you're 18 as your profile says you can ride anything you want once you pass your full restricted A license but it must be limited to 33bhp. You can ride an R1 aslong as it's restricted to 33bhp. Until then your limited to 125cc or 14.6bhp upon completion of a CBT. Best bet if your serious is do CBT to see if you like, buy 125cc to learn how to ride for a few months, take test and they buy something like ER5/ER6, GS500, SV650 and restrict to 33bhp. Since none of these bikes have huge power they restrict better and you might also be able to get insurance on them.

I passed my bike test 20 years ago on a Honda 125 twin , great bike .
But girls came along and had to trade it in for a car .
Now 16 years later i decided i needed to get back on two wheels so cashed in all my savings and bought a Suzuki Bandit 600 cc .
I know i'm an old git (40) but my insurance was £100 , TPTT and this year has fallen to £78 .
It was a bit strange at first but soon got back into handling the bike , and now am taking corners with confidence and enjoying it as much as i did when i was 19
I feel lucky to have passed my test 20 years ago when part 1 was riding round a few cones in a car park and part 2 was riding round a block with a bloke watching you . Think i would struggle to pass nowadays.

Good Luck , theres nothing like the freedom of a motorbike , so do it !

doctorblick said:
I passed my bike test 20 years ago on a Honda 125 twin , great bike .
But girls came along and had to trade it in for a car .
Now 16 years later i decided i needed to get back on two wheels so cashed in all my savings and bought a Suzuki Bandit 600 cc .
I know i'm an old git (40) but my insurance was £100 , TPTT and this year has fallen to £78 .
It was a bit strange at first but soon got back into handling the bike , and now am taking corners with confidence and enjoying it as much as i did when i was 19
I feel lucky to have passed my test 20 years ago when part 1 was riding round a few cones in a car park and part 2 was riding round a block with a bloke watching you . Think i would struggle to pass nowadays.
Good Luck , theres nothing like the freedom of a motorbike , so do it !

That's exactly what my test was like back in 1987! :D Think I'd do ok today, but it's been 11 years since I last had a bike on the road :( I did do the online theory test recently and got 33 out of 35 for the first one and 34 out of 35 for the second! At least my theory is up to scratch :)

And your Honda 125 twin, was it the CB125TD Superdream, or the earlier CB125 twin that was unrestricted? The earlier unrestricted versions were quite quick ;)

It was the older one before they called it superdream ,20 hp i think .

CEE818X if anyone knows where it is i'd love to find it and have another go.
Is there a website where you can trace numberplates ??

Spent a fortune keeping it on the road , had new everything even had it re-bored and re-built it myself in the kitchen !! :p Started first time .
Had it for 3 years , did 85mph flat out .sold it for £250 in 1990 , bought a sh*tty Vauxhall Chevette , big mistake , eh !

Aprilia RS

This is my V Rossi Rep.

RS50.jpg

Back