Mot

Currently reading:
Mot

Yes!

You can have it tested every day if you wish, but any failure will supersede the previous passes.

Why would you want to?

Find a garage with a reputation of being strict, then you know all is ok at that moment.
If you just want a regular check of the car's safety, a garage might do a checkover cheaper, but otherwise might be a plan.

The only reason for an early MOT is if the car has say 6-7 months left but you want to sell it with a full 12 month MOT which is pretty standard in dealerships

The reason I was asking is that I booked a council MOT at full price (pay on the day).
I was thinking of throwing it in a day earlier to a £9.99 deal for Mot in another joint to see if I got lucky and save £45

Rob

The reason I was asking is that I booked a council MOT at full price (pay on the day).
I was thinking of throwing it in a day earlier to a £9.99 deal for Mot in another joint to see if I got lucky and save £45

Rob

9.99...... whats the clinch?/Catch?/Scam?
I'd be very dubious about it - with them saying like you need 4 new brakes even though they are perfectly fine

Leave it to the council one - they wont fob you off atleast....

Ziggy

9.99...... whats the clinch?/Catch?/Scam?
I'd be very dubious about it - with them saying like you need 4 new brakes even though they are perfectly fine

Leave it to the council one - they wont fob you off atleast....

Ziggy

Definitely!!

Few years ago my Dad took advantage of a cheap MOT offer at Kwik Fit. According to the tester, it needed about £450 worth of work (+labour).
I won't repeat what he said...but I suggested he try somewhere else (a local garage that used to be well trusted...). Car still failed, but the bill was about £130. The tester then showed Dad where the failures were and where Kwik Fit had "failed" it. Think there was only 1 item that was common between the two.

Few years ago the wife took her car to crap fit.
Among the failure points was 2 rear shocks@ £80 each plus labour.
They even pointed to the fluid stain down one of the shocks.
Good girl brought it home for me to fix. When I tried bouncing the rear end I found nothing abnormal.
I fixed the minor bits & took it for test elsewhere - it passed. I never did replace those shocks & we had the car a good few years.

Good girl brought it home for me to fix. When I tried bouncing the rear end I found nothing abnormal.
I fixed the minor bits & took it for test elsewhere - it passed. I never did replace those shocks & we had the car a good few years.

With a place like that -i'd pea them off

wash the shocks properly to remove obvious problems - they cant fail it IF there is no evidence :)

They know the trick - but cant fail it because of it

Ziggy

You can have it tested every day if you wish, but any failure will supersede the previous passes.

No, it won't - the original passed test result remains valid until its original expiry date and you can't be prosecuted for having no MOT.

But - and it's a big but - you CAN be prosecuted for driving an unroadworthy vehicle and you could also be invalidating your insurance.

If you have it tested, it fails, and you repair everything that caused it to fail, you can if you wish keep using it without retesting until the expiry date of its most recent pass certificate, though most folks would likely choose to take it back to the original testing station to get a fresh MOT.

A fluid stain on a shock absorber is not in itself a reason for rejection. From the MOT Testers Manual:

"Slight seepage causing a film of fluid on a shock absorber is not a reason for rejection".

Many franchised dealers and quick fit centres often fail vehicles for trivial faults which aren't sufficiently serious to warrant the fail.

The cynic in me says they're motivated by the prospect of some quick and easy profitable work.

Last edited:
Back