MOT - Tailgate question

Currently reading:
MOT - Tailgate question

sumplug said:
well, they can only write on the certificate the actual clock reading at time of test, so i would temp fit the old ones in.:)

Know any nova boys anyone? Someone must. Loads of nova boys put astra digi-clock in. Must be some rule on changing your clocks i imagine, i'd change back to be safe.

hgt20v said:
So what happens if you have a boot load of ice that is all custom fitted and you have no access to the spare wheel well? Does the mot tester require you to rip it all out so he can check?

Quite an important issue for me as my car is due it's mot next month
good question.
perhaps if its known for boot rot, the examiner would want to look in the well. but if the car like yours[bravo] is not known for rot in this area, then he will let it go. it seems a grey area in the testing procedure. some always look in boot, some never seem to bother.:)

No, I know loads of people who have no spare wheel due to a boot install and they all seem to pass MOTs. Best thing to do is ask the guy who's going to MOT your car if he will pass it, that's what I do if I have a problem because we can all answer one way or the other but it's his decision at the end of the day. But do feed his decison back to us :)

The odometer and tripometer, and I believe the speedometer are not examined for the MOT. Ryan, the tester will just scribble down the mileage he sees. Remember, there must have been occassions where people's speedos have broken and they've just replaced it with a unit bought from the scrappy. The only problem I can see with you having Turbo clocks is from an insurance POV, but if anyone knows any different.................

bulldog5046 said:
just add on here, what about my clocks? i fitted UT clocks and they display 106,000 miles which would make my car look as if i had done 32,000 miles in a year! do i just have to put the old ones back or can i tell the garage and they will make an educated guess at what i've really done?

Bulldog, just take the turbo instrument cluster apart and reset the turbo odometer to match your original mileage. It's dead easy, and it will be all sorted!

As for checking the boot/ shock mountings area in an MOT, this can be done from UNDER the car (as is done when the car is raised on ramps during an MOT)! Makes more sense as that's where the rust usually starts too. By the time it comes through on the inside of the car it's got pretty bad on the outside :eek:

There were also some cars, old 'sports' cars like the Austin Healey Frogeye Sprite for instance, which didn't even HAVE a boot lid but still had a 'boot' cavity behind the seats! I suspect a stuck tailgate (as long as it is securely closed) will come under the same situation.

hgt20v said:
So what happens if you have a boot load of ice that is all custom fitted and you have no access to the spare wheel well? Does the mot tester require you to rip it all out so he can check?

Quite an important issue for me as my car is due it's mot next month

He can fail you. This is up to the discretion of the tester. But as sumplug said the boot must be accessible to the tester and must shut securely. I looked it up in our MOT guide. Whether the tester does it or not is a different thing.

Asked a copper about the spare wheel question before.

If u are carrying a spare wheel it must be legal.

Ross

Back