MOT - Tailgate question

Currently reading:
MOT - Tailgate question

bulldog5046 said:
do you need to be able to open up the tailgate for the car to pass the MOT?

I don't know whether it would be listed as a passenger door or not. If it is, there has to be some way of opening it :)

well it isnt impossable to open, just been reading the MOT test checks in the haynes and it says both drivers and passenger side doors must be able to be opened and closed properly from inside and outside of the vehicle.....

sooo...anyone care to say if the tailgates a passenger door?

bulldog5046 said:
well it isnt impossable to open, just been reading the MOT test checks in the haynes and it says both drivers and passenger side doors must be able to be opened and closed properly from inside and outside of the vehicle.....

sooo...anyone care to say if the tailgates a passenger door?
yes, the tailgate is required to open. the mot tester needs to check wheel well, spare wheel if fitted, floor and rear seat belt anchorage. and unos tend to go around the wheel wells:)

I'd very much doubt it! Is there a seat that is accessed via the boot? :chin: Doubt it...
H

Hellcat said:
I've never had my boot opened for an MOT - and I've put a fair few hatchbacks through MOTs
how do they check the spare wheel and well?
an mot centre not checking here would worry me:(

The Negotiator said:
I thought the spare wasn't an MOT item? (even if fitted)
if the spare wheel is fitted, it has to be road worthy. if not fitted, not checked.
the wheel well area/floor has to be check because its double skinned in parts and is structurally part of the mot.

Spare wheel is NOT part of the MOT :)
Take a look on MOT Tester if you want convincing (y)

sumplug, you can't fail an MOT for having a bald spare, I have no idea whether it needs to be checked if fitted, I expect not since you can't fail on it.

I know that my dads Xantia failed (amongst other things) on the boot not being able to open. The lock didn't always undo on it. So its now set up never to lock (very secure i know).

ok guys. seems that the spare wheel is not part of the mot test unless one of the fitted wheels/tyres is a failure.
and it says in the mot testers that load bearing structures are tested. so is the boot tested or not?
my local mot station i have been using for 20+ yrs. hundreds of cars gone through there. and every time, they check the boot or hatch area. remember, what about the top of the shock absorber. how does he check that without opening the rear?:)

Last edited:
oh forgot to mention. the hatch or boot according to the mot tester site must be able to be secure closed. so to test this, they must have to open it:)

just add on here, what about my clocks? i fitted UT clocks and they display 106,000 miles which would make my car look as if i had done 32,000 miles in a year! do i just have to put the old ones back or can i tell the garage and they will make an educated guess at what i've really done?

bulldog5046 said:
just add on here, what about my clocks? i fitted UT clocks and they display 106,000 miles which would make my car look as if i had done 32,000 miles in a year! do i just have to put the old ones back or can i tell the garage and they will make an educated guess at what i've really done?
well, they can only write on the certificate the actual clock reading at time of test, so i would temp fit the old ones in.:)

Back