General MOT Failure - Emissions

Currently reading:
General MOT Failure - Emissions

If you have time,spray the top strut mounts with a decent release agent.
A rattle gun/impact driver is an option too for the top mount nut.
Search for my thread on replacing the springs etc..it might just save you some grief..

And....if your going to bleed the brakes/clutch,spray the nipples too and clean the crud/rust off.I use a wire brush. A deep 1/4 socket is usefull for cracking the brake nipples. Sounds weird that.
Gunsons eezibleed works wonders too.

If all the above is 'teaching your grandma to suck eggs'..my bad.

Thank you for all those tips. It will give me some good experiences with my car as I am the sort that once I set my mind to a task and start to get involved I usually run the risk of overlooking all these little things that can help make some of these jobs be so much easier with a little thought and preparation beforehand instead of having a nightmare and swearing at and falling out with my "DELILAH" as she is affectionately in our household....

Just an update, re-submitted the old girl for MOT today and she has finally passed. Thank you to everyone for all you have helped me with regards your comments & invaluable knowledge and experience. Without you guys it would be a sad world and I for one really appreciate all of you who have taken your time to try and answer my questions and shared the wealth of your experience. I truly do feel humbled & a special thank you to member Nikrox who sent to me some lambda sensors and for his honesty.... Once again, thank you all....!

Good to hear that the GP past the MOT.
What made the difference:
Lambda sensors or new cat ?
Probably both :)
It was the cat and both of the lambda sensors. So many sensors on vehicles today......

Both sensors?..Did you use the ones I sent you?..
I used one of the sensors you sent me post cat but had already replaced pre cat with a new sensor. MOT fail reason was cat & pre cat sensor. I replaced pre cat sensor but not cat and she failed again. I then replaced cat and also post cat sensor, from you, she then passed so I take it that my problem in the end was in fact the cat causing my emissions failure... Would this make sense ?

Sounds like your Cat was the main source,although if the pre cat sensor was fecked then I would have thought that could have been as much as a culprit..So maybe a case of,six of one and half a dozen of the other..
BUT its sorted so well done you.
I am curious as to how much the cat cost you in the end..and where from?...

Sounds like your Cat was the main source,although if the pre cat sensor was fecked then I would have thought that could have been as much as a culprit..So maybe a case of,six of one and half a dozen of the other..
BUT its sorted so well done you.
I am curious as to how much the cat cost you in the end..and where from?...
My cat was £165.70 from a place in Northampton called online automotive. Reasonable I thought, considering Eurocarparts wanted £331.00. Here is the link from eBay -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back