MOT after accident?

Currently reading:
MOT after accident?

Hi, my car was written off by a 3rd party as a Cat C however I have fixed the car myself and is in my opinion road worthy. I know that they will be issueing a VIC marker on the car so will need a VIC test (no biggie) but after speaking to my insurance they have told me if they had written it off they would require an MOT to prove its road worthyness.

They then told me if the 3rd party has written it off that the 3rd part will need to confirm it is road worthy.

As far as the 3rd party is concerned as soon as I receive the payout they are washing their hands of it and wont be prepared to send someone out to say its road worthy.

So what should I do? Its only just had its MOT (2 days before the accident). Should I get it MOT'ed again?

Cat C needs a VIC test and then an MOT, then insurance then tax then happy motoring......

I've just returned another Cat D to the roads, flew through the MOT :)

Keep up posted on how the VIC goes?

Last edited:
Cat C needs a VIC test and then an MOT, then insurance then tax then happy motoring......

I've just returned another Cat D to the roads, flew through the MOT :)

Keep up posted on how the VIC goes?

But the car is already taxed and insured?

My other issue at the moment is its not been VIC marked yet so can't do a VIC test. I spoke to the people that do the VIC and they said you can drive it without an issue. She told me police will not pull you for this.

Last edited:
Hi, my car was written off by a 3rd party as a Cat C however I have fixed the car myself and is in my opinion road worthy. I know that they will be issueing a VIC marker on the car so will need a VIC test (no biggie) but after speaking to my insurance they have told me if they had written it off they would require an MOT to prove its road worthyness.

They then told me if the 3rd party has written it off that the 3rd part will need to confirm it is road worthy.

As far as the 3rd party is concerned as soon as I receive the payout they are washing their hands of it and wont be prepared to send someone out to say its road worthy.

So what should I do? Its only just had its MOT (2 days before the accident). Should I get it MOT'ed again?

I've checked directly with VOSA on this one.

The original MOT remains valid, irrespective of the VIC marker having been set.

In fact, there is very little that will invalidate an MOT (fraud being the only thing I can think of). Even if your car fails the MOT, the original certificate remains valid until its expiry date, and you can't be prosecuted for driving without an MOT until the original certificate expires.

Roadworthiness is a different issue; having a valid MOT is no proof or guarantee of roadworthiness and apart from most likely invalidating your insurance, driving an unroadworthy vehicle is an offence regardless of MOT status.

Your insurers may, of course, choose to impose whatever additional conditions they deem appropriate, including having the vehicle MOT'd again, but there is nothing to stop you insuring the vehicle elsewhere, getting a VIC check done by VOSA and running on the original MOT until its expiry date (provided the car is roadworthy).

Last edited:
Booked for MOT tomorrow at 9:30. Still has 12 months and 9 days left on the current one...

It will be interesting to see what expiry date you get on the new MOT.

As the vehicle is being tested more than one month before the date of expiry of its current MOT, it might be dated 12 months from tomorrow - in which case, the old MOT result will still be valid after the new one runs out!

Last edited:
Interesting reading on Gov.UK and VOSA site suggests you don't need an MOT after Cat C or Cat D accidents. I am positive that previously any CAT C or D were marked as no valid MOT as soon as the DVLA etc were notified.

Big thanks to this thread it's made my life one hell of a lot easier if I can buy Cat C or D's that have MOT and return them to the road without a new MOT. (y)

That said keep an eye on line at MOT status once all the paperwork and VIC etc are sorted.

Interesting reading on Gov.UK and VOSA site suggests you don't need an MOT after Cat C or Cat D accidents. I am positive that previously any CAT C or D were marked as no valid MOT as soon as the DVLA etc were notified.

Interestingly, we purchased dad's mk3 Panda as a CAT-D when it was 6 months old, I repaired, and didn't MOT it until it was 3 years old, like any new car, and didn't have any issues. Its a July 2009 reg, so fairly recently.

Well car failed it's MOT! But only in centre section of exhaust blowing. May have happened in the accident or might not have.

MOT is valid until 26th October 2015 like the one I had done last week.

I'm just happy Admiral don't have any way to get out of paying out incase of an accident.

Not checked the VIC today but doubt it's been marked yet.

Back