MOT 'acceptable repair'

Currently reading:
MOT 'acceptable repair'

arseofbox

Principality Retained :)
Is GRP / Fibreglass OK for a repair on a steel monocoque chassis or does it need to be metal?

The 1242 has a hole in its floorpan - on the join between the inner arch and the boot floor. Its about 3-4" from the rear seatbelt mounts...and I need to know as I can easily patch it myself if GRP is OK.

As I see it, that should be ok as the loadpath is not really affecting the area, as thats double skin, and the loaded area is triple skin - with seatbelt bolst acting in tension.

Its 6" I think. Regardless of the actual measurement, I know its well within that area.

I'm pretty sure Dave is right that if the area to be repaired is steel then repairs should be carried in steel and fully seam welded, an MOT tester will fail if they see a structural area repaired with fibreglass. Surely repairing with fibreglass is more effort than welding a patch in, mind you do need a welder to do it.

As said, id take to to somewhere who does welding to MOT standards, that way your guarenteed to pass.

Old tipo of mine had a hole in the engine cradle which the MOT tester had to fail. Fair enough it's for my safety as much as anyone elses..

I didn't know where to get it done so he offered to fix it for 'mates rates'. Have had all my MOTs done there since and they've nearly all passed first time apart from a Tipo with a dodgy proportioning brake valve and the 130 marea with worn tyres.. ooops :D

as said already, for MOT it needs to be welded.

imo you must fully chop the rot out then weld a plate in then paint it or cover it with underseal (on both sides). anything else is short term and doesnt fix the problem, so only do a quick welded plate over the damage if you plan to sell it soon to someone you dont like.

as said already, for MOT it needs to be welded.

imo you must fully chop the rot out then weld a plate in then paint it or cover it with underseal (on both sides). anything else is short term and doesnt fix the problem, so only do a quick welded plate over the damage if you plan to sell it soon to someone you dont like.

:yeahthat:

Fibreglass will be an instant fail. All welded repairs have to be seam welding and not spot welded. Not much else needed to add to what's already been said really!

Back