Money 'in' the bank

Currently reading:
Money 'in' the bank

philbo said:
did you know the halifax cardcash accounts take 10...yes 10!! days to clear a cheque? thats 10 working days. 2 weeks. what the f*** do they do with that cheque for 10 days??

Philbo, I currently work at teh Halifax cal centres, and yes, it's 7 to 10 days. and it's the same for the savings accounts.

If you ask the processing sides of thebanks, they'll say that most cheques would take that length of time to clear, except that with normal current accounts (read: accounts that make the bank most money) people are more likely to want the moneys, so they "spend" more in clearing it. It is of course complete and utter BS, and the source of much scandalism in the banking industry... think this way... a cheque is a guarantee of funds on an account, say it's drawn on a barclays account, presented at the halifax, all the halifax should need to do is call barclays and say, the funds there? barclays say yay or nay, they say, col. honour it, and send us the cash. Cheques cleared... no messing problem solved. but no, someone wants to earn a little interest over night (or a few nights, jackpot across the weekend)

also you wanna get rid of that cardcash account if you can, it's pants...

its the wifes and as she isnt a full time earner she needs an account to throw cheques at. ive been getting a bit pissed off with halifax just recently anyway. been with em for 20 years!? loyalty counts for nothing with those w***ers. about time we moved i think.

philbo said:
its the wifes and as she isnt a full time earner she needs an account to throw cheques at. ive been getting a bit pissed off with halifax just recently anyway. been with em for 20 years!? loyalty counts for nothing with those w***ers. about time we moved i think.
hang about here.... halifax representative and all.... what's the beef you've had?

Trancendental said:
Cash machine on Kilburn High Road is empty far too often :nono:
Nothing to do with the Halifax... securicor standard cash deposits. we issue a standard banking network with the "used" levels, they supply to demand.
same with most banks.

it takes a cheque three working days to go throught the clearing cycle with funds usually availble to draw against on the fourth working day, however cheques can be returned unpaid at any time, available balance is diff from actual balance,asthe cheque has not went throught the cycle, the funds are not yet available to draw against however charges may not be applied to the account as funds are pending,
any time above and beyond this is at the banks discretion
fact

xxx

Trancendental said:
Thought it was just me that had a probelm with Natwest, not the staff just the bank in general. Been to Natwest more times in the 2 years I've had account with them then I've ever been to Midlands... sorry HSBC in the 11 years I've had an account with them.

Got charged £120 in fees after I was taken £3.45 overdrawn by vodafone trying to take money out of an account I'd told them not to use..Did Natwest phone or write to tell me I'd gone overdrawn? Did they hell! Would Natwest waive any of the £30 charges to help me get back into the black? Would they hell! Ended up with a debt collection agency since I just couldn't find £120+ :cry:

Now they're gone and I'm reasonably well employed and banking with HSBC. If my account ever goes over, or if there is any suspicious activity I get a call from a real person. (y) Do they slap a £30 charge on me if my bills come out before my pay goes in? Nope. Flexible. As it should be.

If I can help it I do my very best to avoid any products or services which Natwest may make money on.

Hellcat said:
Got charged £120 in fees after I was taken £3.45 overdrawn by vodafone trying to take money out of an account I'd told them not to use..Did Natwest phone or write to tell me I'd gone overdrawn? Did they hell! Would Natwest waive any of the £30 charges to help me get back into the black? Would they hell! Ended up with a debt collection agency since I just couldn't find £120+ :cry:

Now they're gone and I'm reasonably well employed and banking with HSBC. If my account ever goes over, or if there is any suspicious activity I get a call from a real person. (y) Do they slap a £30 charge on me if my bills come out before my pay goes in? Nope. Flexible. As it should be.

If I can help it I do my very best to avoid any products or services which Natwest may make money on.
sounds like barclays... I got a charge for something or other and it took me over my overdraft, so they charged me for that too... gotta love em :D

HSBC yesterday offered me an exchange rate to euros of 1.404
I figured I could get better and encounter the most amazing efficiency I have ever seen. I applied for a trade account at xe.com
Filled in the online form, printed and signed it, then took a digital pic of the form with my signature and uploaded it via their secure upload.
Also uploaded pics of my passport and driving license.
They then asked me for a good time to call so I put 15:00 (about 15 mins later). They called from Canada bang on cue and asked a load of security Qs.

Account will be up and running later today and I'll then get an exchange rate of 1.42 :)
Well impressed, and totally off topic.

Seraph said:
Surely that's RBOS. I've built the ATM's for BOS, and they give you a figure but tell you which it is, cleared or uncleared

Cheques take up to a maximum of 5 days to clear regardless of where they were drawn/presented (which yes, is a joke, since if it's the same bank who has the money and surely they can verify the cheques validity in an instant) oh yea, but afaik, HBOS cheques clear internally straight away ;) . Why people use cheques these days is beyond me... talk about outdated.
nope RBOS only shows money you have and doesnt show for example funds waiting to clear.something i noted on chaging to BOS.
eg in BOS online banking you see your balance but on clicking into it you actually see funds available which can be a hugely different figure.

Back