Money 'in' the bank

Currently reading:
Money 'in' the bank

Was really pi**ed off today...I went to the bank to look at how much was in there, on screen balance was something like £650, so I withdrew £130 to get some lunch and pay some money to my mother. Then a couple of hours later I went to the garage to pick up my car and to pay for the tyres they put on for me, £220, gave them my card.............declined, tried again, declined. I was glad that I was friends with the owner of the garage as I wouldve looked so stupid, so I explained that I saw my balance earlier and that I was going to go down to the bank and see whats going on. Got to the bank, had to queue to about 10mins and then asked to withdraw £220 and I got told I dont actually have £220 to withdraw and showed me the screen, Balance about £520, can withdraw £200. So I said I thought there wasnt a limit on how much u can withdraw over the counter? and she replied there isnt, a cheque must not have cleared yet! :mad:

Why the f*** tell me I've got £650 in my account, when I havent? :bang:

Well I know our tills give you a cleared and uncleared balance on the slips. The bottom balance is what is "cleared", as in you can withdraw it today, the top balance is the uncleared balance, and would include cheques that are currently in the process of being cleared. They do this so people can see what their balance will be when the cheques they have paid in clear :)

Was with Natwest.

And no I didnt know which had cleared or not, as I paid in cheques friday, monday and yesterday. The one I done yesterday was a Natwest cheque so wouldve gone through today but the rest were all different ones, I wasnt too sure whether they all wouldve been cleared by today thats why i checked my balance and it said I had £650 available to withdraw and didnt give me any other balances so as u do, u think u have that much in your bank.

LOL no I'm not overdrawn either, that '-' was just to seperate the words from numbers.

CinqSport_Newboi said:
The one I done yesterday was a Natwest cheque so wouldve gone through today

Are you sure about that? AFAIK they only clear next day if the cheque is paid in at the same branch that it is drawn on :)

EDIT - Stu you're right, we do accounts where you can only withdraw £50 a day, and others where you can get up to £750

H2DaE said:
Are you sure about that? AFAIK they only clear next day if the cheque is paid in at the same branch that it is drawn on :)

:yeahthat:

Should always assume at least 4 working days.

bank of scotland run a similar system.shows your balance but may not always show all moneys to come off or shows money that hasnt actually cleared yet.
basically you need to keep on top of your card payments.i tend to pay cash as much as possible and keep a note of all card payments along with my online banking.
although i would know if i had £400 more than i expected ;)

Cahoot's the way forward

nuff said really on this subject :D

custard boy said:
bank of scotland run a similar system.shows your balance but may not always show all moneys to come off or shows money that hasnt actually cleared yet.
basically you need to keep on top of your card payments.i tend to pay cash as much as possible and keep a note of all card payments along with my online banking.
although i would know if i had £400 more than i expected ;)

Surely that's RBOS. I've built the ATM's for BOS, and they give you a figure but tell you which it is, cleared or uncleared

Cheques take up to a maximum of 5 days to clear regardless of where they were drawn/presented (which yes, is a joke, since if it's the same bank who has the money and surely they can verify the cheques validity in an instant) oh yea, but afaik, HBOS cheques clear internally straight away ;) . Why people use cheques these days is beyond me... talk about outdated.

Last edited:
Hellcat said:
I'd just like to point out that Natwest are scummy little thieves and shouldn't be trusted as far as you can throw their overpaid lard arses...

No offence to any Natwest counter staff
Thought it was just me that had a probelm with Natwest, not the staff just the bank in general. Been to Natwest more times in the 2 years I've had account with them then I've ever been to Midlands... sorry HSBC in the 11 years I've had an account with them.

Trancendental said:
Thought it was just me that had a probelm with Natwest, not the staff just the bank in general. Been to Natwest more times in the 2 years I've had account with them then I've ever been to Midlands... sorry HSBC in the 11 years I've had an account with them.

showing pride in the company I work for, but HSBC (in the form of First Direct) Fscking rawk!

did you know the halifax cardcash accounts take 10...yes 10!! days to clear a cheque? thats 10 working days. 2 weeks. what the f*** do they do with that cheque for 10 days??

Back