modded UT- £50 atm NR.

Currently reading:
modded UT- £50 atm NR.

Its a nice lookin car apart from the shabby headlights and grille, the wheels suit it and its a nice colour. If i bought it i would put standard mark 1 head lights and grille on the front and it would look sweet again. By the way white smoke at start up is most likely to be valve stem seals, white smoke constantly would be a head gasket. Blue smoke = turbo or turbo seals and black smoke means its burning oil or running rich

F R O $ T Y

F R O S T Y said:
By the way white smoke at start up is most likely to be valve stem seals, white smoke constantly would be a head gasket. Blue smoke = turbo or turbo seals and black smoke means its burning oil or running rich

Disagree. BUT I don't know the UT at all. This is what i know. White smoke is just steam. Valve stem seals are oil seals. If they are leaking, then it will leak oil - which would kick out blue smoke.

Are the UT's turbos watercooled? If there is leak there then it'd blow white smoke, could also be headgasket but if it's not showing any other signs of HG failure (loss of compression, overheating, mayo) then it's probably the turbo.

Black smoke would mean over-fueling. Blue smoke means it's burning oil. Could be the turbo bearing seals. Or it could be an engine problem, rings or stem seals as already mentioned.

I'm not trying to be a smart arse, just applying what i know from other engines to UT engine. But like i've said, I don't know the UT engine at all - so I could indeed be totally wrong!

arc said:
Disagree. BUT I don't know the UT at all. This is what i know. White smoke is just steam. Valve stem seals are oil seals. If they are leaking, then it will leak oil - which would kick out blue smoke.

Are the UT's turbos watercooled? If there is leak there then it'd blow white smoke, could also be headgasket but if it's not showing any other signs of HG failure (loss of compression, overheating, mayo) then it's probably the turbo.

Black smoke would mean over-fueling. Blue smoke means it's burning oil. Could be the turbo bearing seals. Or it could be an engine problem, rings or stem seals as already mentioned.

I'm not trying to be a smart arse, just applying what i know from other engines to UT engine. But like i've said, I don't know the UT engine at all - so I could indeed be totally wrong!
agree arc.
white smoke is water getting in the chambers. proberly headgaskets. one of the waterways is seeping slightly allowing water into a cylinder no doubt. head off, skimmed and new gasket. might also but unlikely be a cracked head.:)

arc said:

Sorry my mistake just read what i wrote, yes ur right white smoke IS usually a head gasket or cylinder head failure. What i meant to say was if the smoke is only on startup then it is usually valve stem oil seals and the smoke is not pure white but isnt blue either its more of a greyish colour which makes it quite hard to distinguish from "normal" smoke. Well it was when i had that problem with my uno turbo. However the biggest giveaway to it was that the smoke would have a distinct smell to it which you know is oil being burnt off.

F R O $ T Y

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like turbo problems - weeping oil seals manifest themelves as oily smelling smoke, especially when cold and on overrun.
Those headlights look ghastly. And is that a huge hole in the carpet beneath the clutch pedal? Not a fan of the bodykit either :( The wheels look alright though. :)
H

uno_94 said:
i just looked at it and it looks just like some surface rust? :confused: remember this is a D reg uno (y)
yes, cosmetic only. easily sorted. the heel mark on the floor shows rust. i think the whole floor needs replacing. its not a hard job to do, just time consuming.:)

Back