Mobile Phone Contract

Currently reading:
Mobile Phone Contract

So,

I have an 18 month contract with orange, done around 11 months of it so far. I've seen better deals around and my phone is outdated. I want a new contract / phone and dont really want to buy out of this one. How can I cancel this contract without paying a buy out fee? You used to be able to tell the network you are emmigrating but now as far as I know that loophole is closed.

I'm going to ring up orange and ask them what deals they can do for a loyal customer and threaten to leave the network... failing this I don't know what else to do.

There must be some members on here that work in phone shops or for networks that can advise me, theres got to be another loophole somewhere...

So,

I have an 18 month contract with orange, done around 11 months of it so far. I've seen better deals around and my phone is outdated. I want a new contract / phone and dont really want to buy out of this one. How can I cancel this contract without paying a buy out fee? You used to be able to tell the network you are emmigrating but now as far as I know that loophole is closed.

I'm going to ring up orange and ask them what deals they can do for a loyal customer and threaten to leave the network... failing this I don't know what else to do.

There must be some members on here that work in phone shops or for networks that can advise me, theres got to be another loophole somewhere...

Basically, you can't get out of it - you should be able to upgrade your phone and haggle with orange to get a better deal on your contract (more minutes/txt's for lower monthly cost) in about 8 months, but other wise you're stuck with your current contact. Even if you ask for a pac code they'll bill you for the outstanding monthly amounts

If you have orange care, I have heard of people who have had an outdated handset and been unfortunate to lose/damage it and have to make a claim, they've been lucky that the replacement sent to them was a new model. But obviously doing this intentionally is fraud :D

Basically, you can't get out of it - you should be able to upgrade your phone and haggle with orange to get a better deal on your contract (more minutes/txt's for lower monthly cost) in about 8 months, but other wise you're stuck with your current contact. Even if you ask for a pac code they'll bill you for the outstanding monthly amounts

If you have orange care, I have heard of people who have had an outdated handset and been unfortunate to lose/damage it and have to make a claim, they've been lucky that the replacement sent to them was a new model. But obviously doing this intentionally is fraud :D

This is pretty much what I thought.

I've rang orange and told them I wanted to leave, I got 100 extra minutes for the same monthly charge which is nice. They said that in order to negotiate a phone upgrade I must be in the last three months of the contract.

Oops just dropped my phone!

if you have good negotiation skills then a free or discounted upgrade is easily possible. if you lack those skills then you dont deserve a free upgrade. that is the way of the world. time to get your patter out.

Last edited:
These 18 months contracts suck ass!... They bring out new phones every 3 months! So they should at 9 months ask if you would like an upgrade then they would have happy customers!

then they would have less money.

if you dont like 18 month contracts dont agree to one.

These 18 months contracts suck ass!... They bring out new phones every 3 months! So they should at 9 months ask if you would like an upgrade then they would have happy customers!

I've got an 18mnth contract, my last 3 have been the same length, but in committing to a longer term orange were willing to negotiate more on the package - my last upgrade was free (should have been £50), increased the minutes to 700, already have unlimited txts, gave me £75 for my old phone and increased my loyalty bonus to 7.5% - monthly bill is now just under £15 :D

then they would have less money.

if you dont like 18 month contracts dont agree to one.

try getting a decent handset without an 18month contract these days.:mad:

I hate 18 and now 24month contracts, its ridiculus! the only way we can stop it is if people make a stand and stop signing up to 18month contracts or else we will find soon enough all contracts are 24month. :mad:

I hate 18 and now 24month contracts, its ridiculus! the only way we can stop it is if people make a stand and stop signing up to 18month contracts or else we will find soon enough all contracts are 24month. :mad:

There are 24 month contracts??? :eek:
What phones do you get with that?

My 18 month contracts seem to last 12 months :D
Gotta love T-Mobile, their desperate for customers.

Too right beany. All 12month contracts left are utter s*it. We will all eventually end up on 24 month contracts as we are all at the mercy of the network providers.

P(y)

dont get a contract :idea:

i'm on PAYG and i get 300 texts and unlimited evening/weekend calls to orange phones as long as i top up by £10 each month, and i still get the £10 credit too. if i top up by more i get more free texts.

i pay approx £75 each year for a phone (at the moment that much will get you a brand new prada phone for example). i sell my old phone for £25 or more, so i only really pay £50 each year to have a nice phone that is never out of date. add the £10 per month to £50 per year and thats £14 each month for my phone and calls and texts.

if you want the latest top spec phone and you need loads of mins and texts then you're better off on a contract, but once you go though puberty the way forward is PAYG imo.

Last edited:
well as an adult i need my phone, and a contract is best because of the mins i use (don't use many txt's)
but would never go for 18mnt + contract, i got 12 month with orange cost 25pm and comes with 700mins and 500 txt and a new phone after 9 months
now you carn't get much better than that,
and to all those peps who don't like orange try looking again,
i've been with them 10 years with no probs

Last time I got a new contract I went into phones4u and in an hour I came out with £50 cash in hand, my old contract (with 5months remaining) had been bought out by p4u and hads an amazing deal on my new 12 month contract.
You should try all the main stores to see if they can do a buy out but I think it'll all depend on how many months are left on your current one.

dont get a contract :idea:

i'm on PAYG and i get 300 texts and unlimited evening/weekend calls to orange phones as long as i top up by £10 each month, and i still get the £10 credit too. if i top up by more i get more free texts.

i pay approx £75 each year for a phone (at the moment that much will get you a brand new prada phone for example). i sell my old phone for £25 or more, so i only really pay £50 each year to have a nice phone that is never out of date. add the £10 per month to £50 per year and thats £14 each month for my phone and calls and texts.

if you want the latest top spec phone and you need loads of mins and texts then you're better off on a contract, but once you go though puberty the way forward is PAYG imo.

Get a contract!

...and haggle. I'm on an orange dolphin contract and I get unlimited txts and 700 anytime, cross network minutes all for £14.65 a month and on top of that I also get free orange broadband (OK, it's crap and a little temperamental at times, but still free, saving me £15+ a month.)

I get free upgrades every 18mths, last upgrade saved £50 on price of handset. Refund on my old handset was £75 - a great deal more than selling it on ebay etc - thats £4.61 a month off my bill. Stay with your service provider and build up a loyalty bonus, orange offer 2.5% off your monthly contract every time you renew (up to a max of 15%) I currently get 7.5% discount.

If you need to walk around with the latest handset then stick with PAYG and fork out £75+ every year and then the cost of the monthly top up, that penalises you if you want to use your phone during the day or to call other networks - not forgetting the hassle of having to remember to top up monthly and keep a watch on how many minutes/txt you have left.

you carn't get much better than that
how do you know? pay as you go could even be cheaper. you need to work out how many mins you make in an average month, total the mins to each network and to landlines. then you can see what it would have cost with different providers and different options. pay as you go would most likely be cheapest if most of your calls are to the same network.

Back