Mobile contract dispute!

Currently reading:
Mobile contract dispute!

As Garree001 said it means that you are tied to 12 months but after that it turns into a 30 rolling contract, which to cancel you have to give 30 days notice to cancel. You can give your 30 days notice in your 11th month but they may charge you for your pac code as you can port out in 48 hours, therefore terminating you contract early.

Hi all,

I must learn how to quote more than one reply..?

Its Intercity Mobile, no CPW.

Regardless of how we/I interpret their writing it is a 13 term - after discussions with them (at length, and Consumer Direct for that matter) it is their intention to take a minimum of 13 months bills.

I tried giving notice on the 11th month, but they point out the T&C's clearly say you cannot do this, its a minimum of 12 month, then you are entitled to give you 30 days notice. Its complete tosh, ambiguous, and they're a bunch of sharks. Trading standards may follow up the complain CD will/has passed to them, but it wont help us.

Cheers

Tom

Hi all,

I must learn how to quote more than one reply..?

Its Intercity Mobile, no CPW.

Regardless of how we/I interpret their writing it is a 13 term - after discussions with them (at length, and Consumer Direct for that matter) it is their intention to take a minimum of 13 months bills.

I tried giving notice on the 11th month, but they point out the T&C's clearly say you cannot do this, its a minimum of 12 month, then you are entitled to give you 30 days notice. Its complete tosh, ambiguous, and they're a bunch of sharks. Trading standards may follow up the complain CD will/has passed to them, but it wont help us.

Cheers

Tom

You could give your notice after the first month if you so wished. You would just get billed all twelve months at once.

You can legally give your notice at the start of the 11th month with no problems. They are trying to wrangle an extra month out of you.

You can legally give your notice at the start of the 11th month with no problems. They are trying to wrangle an extra month out of you.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, though giving notice immediately, according to them would have made no difference. They are adamant - 'thereafter' clearly implies (anything but!) you must serve a 30 notice period after the 12 months - even if you gave the notice a year beforehand. Ridiculous/wrong i know.

The bottom line is nothing will be done unless we took them to court and its simply not worth the time or agro. I doubt trading standard will follow it up either.. (n)

Tom

If they are advertising 12 month contracts and you cannot get what is advertised, as advertised - then there is a course for having them... Basic consumer law - products have to be received as advertised.

If they are advertising 12 month contracts and you cannot get what is advertised, as advertised - then there is a course for having them... Basic consumer law - products have to be received as advertised.

I dont know how it was advertised per say, but on the contract is clearly states:

12 Months with 30 days notice thereafter

Though i think the vast majority would interpret that to read a 12 month contract with a rolling 30 day notice thereafter with no thought of the possibility you could not give notice until the last day fo the 12 month was up.

Tom

I'm gonna bet this is Carphone Warehouse... They are the worst high street company in existence. As far as I know, they are also the only company that administers contracts on behalf of some networks (O2 being the one I had issues with). I had this very problem and them stating contract law is exactly what gets you out of this problem. The term you have quoted simply means that you are tied into a 12m contract, but if you go beyond this, you have to give 30 days notice. So if you leave it running 2 years, you give an additional 30 days notice to terminate.

Quote the correct interpretation, they have to end the contract. Show them their deals advertising 12 months and point out that if they aren't terming their contracts ambiguously, then they are carrying out false advertising.

If what they are advertising is a 12 month contract, it is exactly that. Terminate on the date that means you do 12 months to the day and then leave. As has been said before - 11 months with a further month's notice = 12 month contract.

Just don't get me started on the numerous issues I have had with CPW. Never had a single contract/product from them that has gone smoothly - and that's a lot!

Makes sence now (y)

I read it as 12 months contract, so I'd be giving notice on the 30th day before the end of the contract.

I put a note in my diary whenever my contract is due to end. Then call up the phone company directly 30 days before hand and request the port code ready to be used on the final day of contract. When the port code is used the contract terminates. Depends on timing, I was 4 days off this year so had a one year and 4 day contract.

Usually the port request made before the 12 month period bounces you to customer care where they offer incentives to stay for longer.

Incist on the port code first, the talk contract second. They don't like giving out the port code as it can be used for 30 days after issue and the provider has no option but to follow through on port request.

I'd advise not using unknown intermediaries for phone contracts. Stick to the main firms. Many of the main 6 offer superb cashback incentives through quidco, and places like dialaphone are also good.

PS - In my experience (3 contracts) Dial a phone supply non-locked phones so they haven't been tampered with and networked locked so you can use any brand sim in them without paying to get the phone unlocked.

Usually the port request made before the 12 month period bounces you to customer care where they offer incentives to stay for longer.

I wish they did give incentives to stay these days - when I was changing contracts in February, 3 were extremely resistent to any sort of bonus for staying. I took it right up to the wire and called their bluff and they let me go... Shocking really as I spent £40+ a month and always paid on time via direct debit and all that. Companies generally want to offer 2 year contracts or their SIM only deals these days.

PS - In my experience (3 contracts) Dial a phone supply non-locked phones so they haven't been tampered with and networked locked so you can use any brand sim in them without paying to get the phone unlocked.

That's very uncommon for an as standard phone to be supplied on 3. Can't say I've ever seen it. CPW supply all their phones as they came from the factory - except for those on 3.

Back