General Mk2b JTD Gearbox problem?

Currently reading:
General Mk2b JTD Gearbox problem?

a1ant

-~Moderator~-
Staff member
Hi, bit of advice needed please....

Mk2b 5 speed manual JTD.
The problem is that when you move the gearstick to the left (as if to go into 1st or second) and then let go, it does not return to the central neutral position. If you move it to the right (ie to go into 5th or reverse) and then let go it springs back like it should into central neutral position.
Anyone have any idea what this could be? Is there a return spring or something similar that may have gone??

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Alan

thanks for the reply.... the car has just done 20k miles, so hopefully they wont be worn yet. Wen you say lubricate them, is it just a case of popping them all off and putting some grease on the ball joints??

Thanks, Alan

just bought a brand new mk2b 2 weeks ago & i wasn't happy with the gearbox when "reversing" ,cuz it's not "smooth" enough like other new cars i've driven before,i have to push it hard to the right & then hard backwards to get sure that it's on "R" .i don't know the exact problem tho!
DO anybody here have the same problem ?
It's a 2008 8v 1.2 5-doors.

have to push it hard to the right & then hard backwards to get sure that it's on "R" .i don't know the exact problem tho!

It's a 2008 8v 1.2 5-doors.
I have a 2005 2B 1.2 8V and reverse is no problem, provided you remember to lift the collar on the stick to release the inhibit...

Although it must be said that the whole feel of the 'box improves when the oil is warmed up.

Back