Technical Mk2B 1,2 8V headgasket part numbers confusion...

Currently reading:
Technical Mk2B 1,2 8V headgasket part numbers confusion...

dumbledore

Looking to source the correct headgasket part for my mk2b 1.2 8V and are seeing at least two types that are not interchangeable. Wonder if there is a definite answer, also similar confusion I see about the rocker cover gasket. Any clarification to this wellcome.

Also not happy the headgaskets are so weak on this engine. I had mk1 same engine, that had 2 failures and now this one mk2b seems to show the symptoms. Overheating a bit, air in the system. I bled the system once now but am not going to be surprised if I have to repeat this soon.

Is your fan cutting in when it should?
Yes, but the radiator is not that hot. I assume the fan is turned on once the temperature gauge reaches half way. The air in the system inhibits the coolant flow. After I bled the system the radiator got hotter before the fan kicked in. But I think the radiator should have been hotter still.

The 1.2 8v has changed a small front on the electronics side vs not so much change on the mechanical side.
The hg's on these engines are not weak, they are prone to failure due to either poor maintenance / incorrect products (rad seal etc) / or component failure like thermostat sticking shut or not opening enough

Alot of people buy these run them cheap as hell and like crap and wonder why they blow....
I got to 100k before 14 years made mine deteriated with age. I caught the signs early and sorted it with no major issues!

Im near 90k in my mk2b and no hg issues either!

As for 2 types ensure your not getting grande punto in there
If ur buying the kit, ensure you fit all the seals

Ziggy

As for 2 types ensure your not getting grande punto in there
If ur buying the kit, ensure you fit all the seals

Ziggy

Thanks for the advice. I checked GSF and they suggest for post 2003 MK2 model which i think is a MK2B the head gasket they recommend is same as the grande punto gasket they recommend. So is this right or not?

Back