mk2 seat cover removal/seat fix

Currently reading:
mk2 seat cover removal/seat fix

Hi , my name is Alan. I just bought a mk2 recently and my front seat were annoying the **** out of me.Paso seat sounded like it had a wind chime in it with something rattling in it and the drivers seat was sort of leaning to the left:mad:

I had a day off yesterday so i thought i`d sort them out and take a few pictures along the way for anyone having the same issue`s:D

Passo seat first.
1. remove seat cover
1.jpg

At the end of the back of the seat over there is 2 black strips of plastic hooked into each other.Unhook them.

2.jpg

This is a better view of the strips with the seat cover inside out.

3.jpg

The seat cover is fairlt tight and velcro`d at places but should lift up handy enough(y)

4.jpg

Theres a couple of hooks on the back of the seat cover

2. Remove head rest.

5.jpg

There is 2 plastic sleeves holding the headrest`s in place.Open the plastic tabs arrowed and circled in the above pic.There should be total of 4 tabs in each sleeve.

6.jpg

With the tabs released, prise the headrest from the plastic sleeves.

7.jpg

The plastic sleeves will remain in place.

8.jpg

This was the cause of my jingley seat.The part the hook goes into had broken and a couple of hooks were rattling of the seat frame.Tightened it all up with a pliers and wedged a couple of rags in to stop them coming out again:D

TO REMOVE DRIVER SEAT COVER
Its the same as above apart from the seat tilt and lumber knobs.These pull straight off

9.jpg
10.jpg

Now for the broken driver seat.
Take the 2 plastic side from the seat base
11.jpg

Dont forget this philips scew (i nearly did:bang:)

12.jpg

And the other plastic trim.There is also a screw at the back of each trim,facing the seats ,pointing at the floor.
There is also a plastic clip at the front of the trim nearest to teh door.by the sliding rail handle

lost.jpg

This was the cause of my problem..The left hand side bolts had come loose and the seat dropped back.

13.jpg

Wedged the seat back into possition and tightened it all back up.

Reverse steps for refitting plastic trims.

As for the base of the seats,the cover is crimped into the metal base of the seat and cannot be removed:(

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:

SamuraiDragon

Noob for life
hi and welcome to the forum. nice to see new members coming in off the bat to give advice instead of seeking it. (y)

DaveMcT

Top stuff. Please can we sticker this or add it to the Guides so its not lost in the murk.

OP
OP
R

rb25al

Hi,all . thanks.
i had picked up a couple of tips and stuff from the forum:) so i thought ìd give something back.(y)

Shame the Cover didnt come of completly - so it can go in the washing machine

But people with the fixed Headrest - probably cant remove the seat covers anyway

Ziggy

OP
OP
R

rb25al

The seat back cover comes completely off.mines on the washing line now:)

Image079.jpg

its just the seat base cover that wont come off.:confused:

DaveMcT

Shame the Cover didnt come of completly - so it can go in the washing machine

But people with the fixed Headrest - probably cant remove the seat covers anyway

Ziggy

Pic 5 shows the headrest. Undo the seat back cover, slide it up then remove screws on headrest pins and "voila" whole seat back cover is off.

I'd bet the seat base is be similar to the seat back, but probably needs the seat taking out of the car to access the clips etc. But that's only 4 bolts and a wiring clip. It might be possible with a mirror to see what you are doing.

DONT FORGET TO DISCONNECT BATTERY 10 TO 30 MINS BEFORE DISCONNECTING AIRBAG SYSTEM WIRES.

Reconnect wires before connecting battery.

If you forget the system will record a fault and disable the airbags.

OP
OP
R

rb25al

good thinking about the battery;).

i had a look at the base of the seat and it seems a sheet metal plate is rivited over the seem of the fabric:(

i was going to take the seats out but my 8mm allen key was just a hair too big.im going to get a decent allen key set tomorrow and take the passo seat out , get a few pics and see if i can figure something out:D
where theres a will,theres a way

DaveMcT

When it's out, drill out the rivets and pop in new ones or use (short) self tappers. :)

ohp

I took all the covers off the seats the other day and wanged them all through the washing machine.

All you need is a flat head screw driver and a hammer.

the bottom seat part can be separated, all you need do is easle the spikes that are about an inch apart all the way round so they no longer bite into the plastic bead of the seat cover material then you can remove it, and when you re fit the seat you simply use the hammer to tap the spikes back into the seat bead. suprisingly easy doing the seats on a punto :)

Last edited:

markizzle

1. remove seat cover
View attachment 90135

At the end of the back of the seat over there is 2 black strips of plastic hooked into each other.Unhook them.

View attachment 90136

This is a better view of the strips with the seat cover inside out.

View attachment 90137

Hi,

I'm looking at repairing my car seats on my Panda 100 as they have worn through and the metal frame digs into my ribs! Looking at my seats the back rest has the aforementioned clips and I cant work out how to unclip them. Have you got any advice or tips, how did you do it?

Thanks,
Mark

veskoy

Hello! I've followed the guide and started to remove the passanger seat's upholstery however I faced one problem. I have a Fiat Punto 1.9 JTD 80hp 2001 year and the front seats have side airbags. I reached the airbag cap and tried to pull the seat cover but it doesn't go out. I also tried to remove the airbag cap with a screwdriver but it felt like I'm going to break it so I decided to stop.

So my question is - how do you remove the seat cover when you reach the seat's airbag?

Mk2 sporting

I see no one has been able to answer the last question for some time now ? having this same problem with side AB