Technical Mk2 punto wont now start...at all!

Currently reading:
Technical Mk2 punto wont now start...at all!

lukespalding

Pinnacle of Stupidity.
Ok basically Saturday morning I started my car and its was fine, my horn didnt work so me n ma dad what guna try and fix it that day, i go somewhere and like those know-all parents do he starting playing in the enginer bay spraying wd40 on anything he got his hands on.. anything sunday did nothing cause It was raining, then monday i went out mind set to fix this horn issue myself, the car wouldn't start just starter motor turned and turned and turned, hitting gas peddle still nothing wouldn't start...

Any idea's on why it wouldn't start one day it was perfectly find the next it just wont fire up, starter motor goes fine but just wont fire... oh yea and the entire car shakes like a ****er show i think that shows the engine is turning over(?) think maybe not sure im sh*t with car's :ROFLMAO:

Help please, I seriously need to get this fixed asap cause I recently got laid off and I have found a job but I need my car to get to it...:bang::bang::bang:

Cheers

Luke

Last edited:
Ok I read on these forums then when you turn the key 1 turn for jsut electrics to be on you should hear the fuel pump prep for 1-2 secs... I turn my key and dont hear anything at all... sooo does anybody know where the fuel pump fuse is or fuses? anything else i should check?

When the fuel line pressure is up the pump wont run.

Take off the oil filler cap and with a torch look at the cam shaft. Get someone to turn the key. If the cam turns the cam belt is (probably) ok.

If that is ok take out one spark plug hold it onto the engine bare metal (wear rubber gloves) and get someone to turn the starter. Put it back and repeat one by one for the other plugs. All should have a clean blue spark.

Take off the oil filler cap and with a torch look at the cam shaft. Get someone to turn the key. If the cam turns the cam belt is (probably) ok.

If that is ok take out one spark plug hold it onto the engine bare metal (wear rubber gloves) and get someone to turn the starter. Put it back and repeat one by one for the other plugs. All should have a clean blue spark.

hmm I'll do that but cant atm cause i aint got another person here with me :p

Damnation, late again.

Cheers

D

ok dm told my sister to stfu and turn the key lmao took the oil cap off and she turned the key and I looked in the hole with torch and saw nothing move?! still as a statue.. :/

cant do sparks aint got rummber gloves :/
Luke

Last edited:
From here who can say, but if the starter is working and the cam isnt turning ....

As said in post #6 the fuel pump wont pump when the line has enough pressure.
Your pump pump wont do anything much until the engine fires up.

PS sorry Cinq :D

Hmm ok I'm guna double check the cam thing tomorrow coz its dark here and i had a crap torch.. :p
where are the fuses for fuel pump just incase the cam does actually move tomorrow, then i cna check those.

Last edited:
On the fuel injection rail you will see a thing that looks just like a tyre shraeder valve (because it is a shraeder valve :)). Cover it with a rag and carefully press the pin in. Some petrol will flow out. Now turn on the ignition and the petrol pump will again top up the pressure.

If only the HGT was so easy to get at. Mine was such a mega PIA to remove and refit I nearly left the 'steward off altogether.

But if its "only" stripped some teeth (as mine did) the belt will look fine on the outside. Make sure the cam turns with the crank. :)

If only the HGT was so easy to get at. Mine was such a mega PIA to remove and refit I nearly left the 'steward off altogether.

But if its "only" stripped some teeth (as mine did) the belt will look fine on the outside. Make sure the cam turns with the crank. :)

Surly tho - if you say put a Marker on the CamShaft it should spin freely and with the belt - so with the cover off - you can see if the pulley is stop starting or Spinning slow then fast with the teeth etc?

Ziggy

No matter how you do it just confirm the cam is actually turning. Take the belt cover off and turn the engine on the starter. If cam is turning check the timing is correct.

On the fuel injection rail you will see a thing that looks just like a tyre shraeder valve (because it is a shraeder valve :)). Cover it with a rag and carefully press the pin in. Some petrol will flow out. Now turn on the ignition and the petrol pump will again top up the pressure.

Did that and no fuel what so ever came out and yes I was pressing it properly :p so no fuel is getting into the engine.. :/

Checked the cambelt and that's fine, still couldn't really see the cam's move but tbh I'm half blind... and if you use oil to see it well mines really low cause I need to change it but cant cause i need to move the car..

I got my haynes manual today :) so I had a little look through it and I decided to go round all the electrical points in the engine bay to make sure there ok and connected properly all looked fine etc.

I put my key in and turned to the electrics one only, not started, then went to my garage to put cloth back, came back and the engine symbol was on the dash, so I turn key off then turned it back waited for all lights to go off which they did except battery and the oil symbol but they stay on normally I think(?) then sec later the engine symbol came on again and stayed on. I missed this symbol last time cause I didn't leave the key in long enough to even notice it.

Anymore idea's guys?

Back