Technical Mk2 Punto JTD ELX problems

Currently reading:
Technical Mk2 Punto JTD ELX problems

mixie

Hi there,

Only just discovered this forum but was so impressed I registered and posted.

Bought a 2000 reg 1.9 JTD ELX punto. Its done 87k but mostly full history. Replaced Cam belt and Cam pulley as was on last legs. Still a few problems though:

1. Bulb warning light on when brakes pressed sometimes then goes off immediately after releasing pedal - probably a bad connection????

2. Electronic clock keeps resetting itself nearly everytime I start engine

3. The mileage count of 87k reset itself to zero in the very cold weather while up in northumberland - No its not been clocked as car was HPI clear and verified mileage at purchase

Any clues?????:confused:

Thanks guys but I know the battery is fine as its new, correct one fitted only a couple of months ago. Had car tested - no voltage leaks on system. Any other ideas???

You say the warning light comes on when you press the brake. Have you checked your brake fluid level. Sounds stupid i know but sometimes these problems have a simple solution which is easily overlooked(y)

Yeah thanks checked the brake fluid level and its ok. Problem with warning light is only intermittent.(y)

If your clock is resetting on crank then it is because it is losing voltage at the cluster,normally this is due to cheap (sh*t quality) batteries being fitted or of the correct A/Hr rating.Remove the cluster & put a multimeter across the battery live terminal & you will see it probably drop to below 9v upon crank,if it doesn't then its a new cluster!

Cheers mate I will try that out and let everyone know the outcome:)

I had the same problem with the clock resetting it's self on my JTD.

I Bought a new Bosch battery and the problem went away.

Exactly...Stilo owners should know this aswell.The battery must maintain a determined level to all modules while under crank (not easy on a diesel on a freezing morning!) or errors are recorded/clock resets etc...ok its fine buying a cheap battery on a 1.1 old style punto but not a good idea on newer cars.

My hgt had the problem with the brake warning light (came on when braking hard), I had to change the pads even though they where only about 70-80% gone which solved the problem, i'm pretty sure the jtd brakes are the same/similar to the hgt brake system. Maybe the sensor on them is a bit sensitive?

T14086 said:
Bulb warning light

Bulb warning system works on side & brake lights.

Just what I was thinking. The warning light only comes on when the circuit with the 'blown' bulb on is activated.

Therefore, hit the brakes and one of the lights doesn't come on, thus illuminating the warning bulb.

Easy to check by asking a mate or reversing up to a reflective surface (window) and then trying the brakes to see which one is out.

Thanks for that. I did a check when the light was showing up on the dash. Drivers rear side light out. Tapped the cluster and it came back on so think its a bad connection..... now where is my WD40????? :)

T14086 said:
If your clock is resetting on crank then it is because it is losing voltage at the cluster,normally this is due to cheap (sh*t quality) batteries being fitted or of the correct A/Hr rating.Remove the cluster & put a multimeter across the battery live terminal & you will see it probably drop to below 9v upon crank,if it doesn't then its a new cluster!

As a newcomer to JTD's (I've had loads of pre-JTD's) what's a Cluster and no jokes about breakfast cereal please.

As it could be that is my problem which I'll come to when I know what a cluster is.

Ahh right I hadn't thought that far back up the wires, I was thinking it was some new gubbins under the hood as there are quite a few wierd looking clusters under there that I've never seen before.

I think I've solved my problem which may just be related to a battery that shows plenty of volts but drops to 3.sodall when the key is turned. Although it looks like the original, it's a MM which aren't that common on the retail market but it's only 50ah/350a which sound a tad weak for a JTD to me, it's barely half whats on my Marea.

Back