Technical mk2 punto cooling problems

Currently reading:
Technical mk2 punto cooling problems

Hi guys,was just wondering if anyone can help or suggest anything to try??my gf has a mk 2 1.2 8 v,that has recently started getting HOT!the temp goes near to the red and the water level drops.I keep topping it up with water,its fine for a while then happens again.also the heater blows cool air out while this is happening and the engine idles ruff.any suggestons??

What colour smoke is coming out the back?

if HG is gone - it'll be white as there is steam present

Is the car wet in any places when you leave it?
Sometimes the temperature sensor leaks - you cant always tell as the water boils off on the side of the engine

Ziggy

nice try but no way hosay
its blown captain

thanks for the replies....sometimes there is white smoke out of the exhaust.but there is also water round the bottom of the rad and brown gunk in the oil filler cap???

As said before, head gasket. The gunk is because water is getting into the oil and the rocker cover isn't getting hot enough to evaporate the water, leaving the gunk like residue in the oil cap.

I wouldn't drive it any further apart from to a garage, get a new thermostat and water pump put on as it is more than likely blown for a reason, may as well get the belt and tensioner done at the same time too.

thanks for the replies....sometimes there is white smoke out of the exhaust.but there is also water round the bottom of the rad and brown gunk in the oil filler cap???
White out the exhaust = Steam
means your also injecting water and its been boiled/burnt off
Water around bottom rad hose could be leaking pipe? so maybe you've had a water leak which in return has caused the HG to blow

Brown gunk is normally just oil, Mayo is another sign, a white creamy substance in this situation i highly recommend you dont put on your sandwich's

As said before, head gasket. The gunk is because water is getting into the oil and the rocker cover isn't getting hot enough to evaporate the water, leaving the gunk like residue in the oil cap.

I wouldn't drive it any further apart from to a garage, get a new thermostat and water pump put on as it is more than likely blown for a reason, may as well get the belt and tensioner done at the same time too.

+1 on getting the 2 other done
If the Waterpump is been done - the cambelt is been done too

Old belt + new pump can sometimes eat each other.... so please dont skip on it as said by me and above - otherwise you'll be back saying it snapped
but luckily the 8v's are interferance free

Compression test time - it'll tell all

Ziggy

Back