General Mk2 punto 1.2 8v tuneability

Currently reading:
General Mk2 punto 1.2 8v tuneability

Well quick question i was going to put in technical but figure ill get more replys here

so what can be done sensibly to the mk2 punto 1.2 engine apart from exhaust and induction kit can you do mods like on the cinq sporting such as fit a throttle body off a bigger engine etc or is it just things like expensive cams

wayne

Unfortunately no, or at least that is what others claim, that the mk2 8v ecu will not "learn" that much so no modding apart from what you mentioned.

If you do not want to put a piggyback (sorry, no remaps for this ecu :'( ) most you can do is lighten the car and lighten the flywheel to achieve high revs quicker.

My uncle builds race engines and he does lightened flywheels etc but one downside to lightening the flywheel is although on flat ground it will give better acceleration it is weaker and can reduce torque for getting up hills etc and in my next car im not lightening it as im having everything such as leather recliners the lot

Im surprised the ecu cant be chipped as the cinq ones can be and i would of thought the ecu would be similar as the mk1 punto

The engine is similar to that of the mk1 (since it is FIRE), the electronics are totally different.

Yes, a lightened flywheel may reduce torque but 1)if properly done with a not so extreme shave off the torque reduction will be barely noticable, 2)If you can get the revs going up hill will be no problem.

My friend reduced the wieght of his flywheel, not alot but just enough, as regards torque it feels the same, but it is accelerating much quicker.

If I were you I would invest in a piggyback, right now I am looking at the SMT6 and the Greddy E Manage, actually I am almost done on the E Manage cause the car is going to get a turbo.

GSR can do a lot of work to this engine but as previously said the hitachi ECU has very tight limits. Lowtechguy has been on a quest for some time to find an alternative solution, lots of info on www.clubfirepower.co.uk.

I have heard a lot of rumours from very good sources that the solution will be with us soon, so they havent given up just yet. Once this is solved this engine has a lot of potential and can be tuned fairly cheaply, well cheaper than its 1242 16v cousin.

Things like headwork, exhaust, induction, throttle body, ecu could all be done to a very high standard for under £2k and i'd expect it to run a good 80-90bhp with a similar torque figure.

James

Back