Technical Mk2 Panda Engine Chatter

Currently reading:
Technical Mk2 Panda Engine Chatter

Thesquigmonster

Hi guys,

I've just got myself a lovely 2005 mk2 panda with 20000 miles on the clock. However she's got severe engine chatte and my garage have said its a bottom end issue which would require a full rebuild to resolve but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions on what this could be?

Thanks in advance

Without hearing the noise it's really impossible to even guess at what it might be. I would imagine the garage think it's big ends which is a noise once heard never forgotten and displays similar symptoms across most engines so, if that's what they think it is their diagnosis is probably reliable. Can you post a file on here which we can use to listen to the noise?

If it is something serious like that then, unless you are very handy with the tools yourself - which I'm guessing you probably aren't or you wouldn't be asking for help with this? - Then an engine from a breaker is probably your best bet. All depends on what the problem really is though. Wouldn't harm to let a couple more garages listen to it and give you an opinion, shouldn't cost you anything for a couple of minutes of their time just to listen to it.

Edit. Mind you at 20,000 miles it would be highly unusual to get big end problems with one of these unless it had been grossly abused - Is it a 1.1 or 1.2?

Edit. Mind you at 20,000 miles it would be highly unusual to get big end problems with one of these unless it had been grossly abused - Is it a 1.1 or 1.2?
The only thing I thought of is a car sitting around for long periods and the oil drying out before someone starts it every few months/years and then revs it up to make sure its all working. When we'd start cars that had been sitting a while at the dealer I worked at I knew at least one guy who would turn the key with his foot halfway down on the throttle and quickly rev the engine up aggressively as soon at is took.

We had a very low mile Corsa with Piston slap which was said to have been caused by similar treatment.

Back