mk1 UT antiskid with........

Currently reading:
mk1 UT antiskid with........

beau said:
abs isnt it

An early and primitive form of ABS, yes. Not that highly regarded nor that efficient, very few had them fitted and it's now a nightmare to get any parts for it. Better off removing it and replacing with a standard turbo braking system.

As for the mk2 front end conversion - nooooooooooooo! It should be the other way round - converting a mk2 to a mk1 front end :cool: :p

1986Uno45S said:
Tis true!

You mean you'd rather convert a mk1 to a mk2 front end? :confused: :eek:

I prefer the looks of the Mk2 over the Mk1 I wouldn't convert a Mk1 to a Mk2 though, that's not on, Mk1's should be left as is, seeing as UT's are slowly dying out.

Why would anyone take photos of a car they are trying to sell at night. That is amazingly stupid.

AntsUno2 said:
Ive never heard of anyone converting a mk2 front end to a mk1, to make it look better?????? EH! its always the other way around Ant!

I've never heard of anyone converting a mk1 rear end to a mk2, to make it look better. It's always the other way round ;)

... Oh who cares! :)
I very-nearly did this conversion myself; got as far as buying the white 1992 Uno 60S and trailering it home, but then when I looked into it, I realised it's all smoke and mirrors. The bonnet on the Mk2 isn't much lower (only a centimetre or so) and it's lost the nice lip at the back, in fact it doesn't really tie in with the wings properly. The front bumper is higher, so it doesn't line up with the ridge around the car (and the back bumper), so although the lights are smaller, nothing else is. Also the Mk2 bonnet is more demure, as it doesn't have the appealing raised centre section.

I've come to the conclusion that it really isn't worth it; the Mk1 Uno when lowered ends up with the bonnet line much lower than 2000-on designs anyway. The large rectangular headlights are actually smaller than any modern headlights (slim rectangular headlights went out of fashion with the Calibra). And it looks very purposeful... The Mk2 Uno looks more like a Nova :)

As for the Antiskid - I don't think it was much less-efficient? It was electronically-controlled with solenoids, just like later ABSs (and unlike the early Ford systems). I think that it only sensed locking of the front wheels, but I note that the rears are also modulated by the system and there's a proportioning valve on both sides. Given that the rears do a lot less braking than the fronts, I don't see much of a problem with this. I'd rather have it than nothing at all...

mcp138 said:
Why would anyone take photos of a car they are trying to sell at night. That is amazingly stupid.

Sometimes there is little option; if weather is bad, seller is working full-time, and time schedules tight. Literally the only opportunity to take day-time photos is the weekend. I remember selling a car earlier this year and working seven days of the week, making it very difficult. But this particular Uno has been listed before, so I'm sure a few weekends have passed now ;)

Taking photos at night sometimes makes things look more exciting for the exterior, but early-evening sunset is the best of the lot for making interiors look nice (and not showing up faded carpet etc.) Personally I feel the interior photos should always be taken without a flash.

-Alex

Back