General mk1 steering

Currently reading:
General mk1 steering

ok my mk1 sporting has decied that its doesn't want to exactly go where the steering wheel is telling it to, now i have a feeling its either something todo with the rack or the front suspension but not sure which, what i am actually wondering though is, is there a Non-power steering rack i can fit as i really hate power steering??? or does anyone know if the steering rack out of my old cinq would fit???

Problem is if you put a Non-P.steering rack into a P.Steering car - it'll be harder and heavier then a Car that didnt have PS to start with
Due to the Suspension set up and Joints

What problems are you getting?

Car Constantly Pulling to one side?
The wheel feels "loose" to what you get on the road?

Ziggy

i am constantly having to correct the sttering one min it pulls left the suddenly it will pull right but tonight it has so much play in the steering its not funny, you can turn it from 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock and the wheels dont do anything plus its become really heavy (i aint weak but i'm struggling to get to full lock even when moving)

If the wheel has that much play before wheels are doing owt

Then i'd be fair to say there is air in the steering rack - Air can be squashed, so hence 11 to 1 you're squashing the air before it turns the wheels

Get the steering Fluid Check and bleed the system (Putting full lock on)

Check the pump is free spinning + Belt hasn't snapped

How has the air got in there tho to start with?

Ziggy

just had new tires fitted all round,

i will check fluid levels tomorrow, its just had a new belt fitted and pump seemed fine, i am going to limp it to my tyre guy tomorrow and get it on the ramps so i can get under it and have a look

Failed pump? Worn track rod ends?

I'd try hitting several nails at once i think
On the ramps - see if the track rods have died

Do you get alot of Vibrations through the wheel when driving along at speeds (if you got going fast enough)
as if you get vibrations - sure it could be tyre balance
But when i had tyres balanced- i still got vibrations, turns out on the MOT - the track rod had died

Ziggy

ok found the source of the probs this morning

the stupid retard that i bought the car off had fitted the PAS belt the wrong way so the grooves were facing out over which was causing the belt to slip under load causing the wierd handling as the PAS was working then not then working then not and last night it finally fell off the crank pull causing the steering to become heavy, now today i have been driving around looking for an awnser to this prob and the steering has been perfect just a little heavy but if i am driving in a straight line and let go of the steering wheel it tracks straight and stays straight, also i am no longer suffering with torque steer any more which i was suffering massivly with before

now my next question is, is there any difference between a 55s non PAS rack and my sporting PAS rack and is there a non PAS short rack out there as this is going to be a track car and every kg counts as i am going to be racing my mate in a track prepared seicento 1242 8v mpi????

Back