Technical Mk1 Rear Seat Belts

Currently reading:
Technical Mk1 Rear Seat Belts

Hi guys

Hoping someone can help - have hit a snag with my Mk1. As it will need to justfy its existence when returned to the road, it needs to have rear seatbelts for the kids.

It has the upper mounts in the C pillars. It has the floor mounts for the seatbelt stalks. There appears to be a lower mount on the outer edge of the floor (going through the arch trim). However it does not seem to have anywhere to mount the intertia reel....

Appreciate this would be a lot clearer with a pic but am at work so will add one later.

Any ideas? Mk1 guys (aimed in particular @goodgirl156, @Pandamonius_Maximus, @panda1408)?
@VmanC Vernon, I seem to recall Oslo's belts were two point - an unusual intertia reel lapbelt. Is that right? Wondering if that's what would/could have been fitted to the Mk1 as an accessory.

Thanks guys

David

Last edited:
My bet is that they're like Betty's, as you surmised... :confused:

...but haven't seen any like these for sale for a while, I'm afraid. Must be some somewhere, though.... :chin:

I'll add Palio to your list...! :idea:

This is the sort of thing: but that's blummin' expensive for a non-original part... -- and I don't actually think it would fit.... :nono:

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
My bet is that they're like Betty's, as you surmised... :confused:

...but haven't seen any like these for sale for a while, I'm afraid. Must be some somewhere, though.... :chin:

I'll add Palio to your list...! :idea:

It's alright, I'm just a bit offended David! ;)

They do look very familiar, so I suspect that's what is in my mk1's. If you need me to, I can access Jasper at the weekend to check - I don't have any photos of the back seat of any of the mk1's, but I do recognise that pull out belt from somewhere. (y)

This is what is listed for the pre 1990 Panda according to Securon. Try http://www.securon.co.uk/seat_belts_firstframe.htm for the listings. Not the cheapest, but new, correct fitment, and what price the kids in the back? :)

Sorry, Gavin... -- I hate to rain on your parade (or CLX, even...) -- but that's still a three-point belt; and Betty's are all two-point: inertia-reel on the outsides (with no mounting point on the mechanism), and a plain lap-belt in the middle. :eek:

David -- you probably know this, already, but seatbelt in Italian is "cintura di sicurezza": although a European-wide eBay search has proved fruitless.... :(

PS: It's almost like this one -- but there should be a piece of webbing between the fixing (to the body) and the mechanism/retractor. :chin:

2220.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, Gavin... -- I hate to rain on your parade (or CLX, even...) -- but that's still a three-point belt; and Betty's are all two-point: inertia-reel on the outsides (with no mounting point on the mechanism), and a plain lap-belt in the middle. :eek:

David -- you probably know this, already, but seatbelt in Italian is "cintura di sicurezza": although a European-wide eBay search has proved fruitless.... :(

That's 2 point surely? :confused: My Sisley has one in the boot, one on the C pillar, and one low down on the side panel.

The pic only has 2 fixings, or have I gone daft? I probably have, in which case ignore me & email Securon to see if that've got the right fixing maybe?

Last edited:
Hi David,

Yep Oslo has the same inertia lap belts as Betty. I agree it is strange that they didn't put the reel mounting behind the rear trim but did provide the top one. :confused:

Does a child seat have to have the diagonal strap?

You're forgetting the one holding the 'stalk' bit! My piccy shows a two-point belt...! :p

I wasn't really - both the Uno and Sisley on the drive have 3 mounting places plus the stalk. I thought that's what a 3 point meant, so I'm still :confused:

As I've no idea what I'm talking about, I'll claim victory coz they are mounted in 4 places including the stalk, and slope off while you all correct me! (y)

Last edited:
Before Gavin and I have a falling out (sorry)... ;)

...I've just looked at ePER: and it's showing Betty having 'proper' (what I think of as three-point, diagonal) belts at the side; and a fixed lap-belt in the centre. Mind you, it also shows her as having a Mk1/750L-type folding rear bench.... :bang:
aquamarine -- have you tried putting your VIN in ePER...? I do wonder if a normal/proper/diagonal belt would fit, though, considering the mounting points are there.... I'm sure VmanC and I had this discussion re Betty -- but can't remember the outcome.... :confused:

I wasn't really - both the Uno and Sisley on the drive have 3 mounting places plus the stalk. I thought that's what a 3 point meant, so I'm still :confused:

As I've no idea what I'm talking about, I'll claim victory coz they are mounted in 4 places including the stalk, and slope off while you all correct me! (y)

I actually think you're right; and know what you mean.... :cool:

...this is why Betty's are so weird: because they do only have the two fixing points: one for the webbing attached to the inertia-reel mechanism, which the 'tongue' comes out of; and one for the webbing attached to the 'slot' this affixes to. :confused:

By the way: I can't imagine any other section of the Forum having such a nerdy discussion re seatbelts...! :D

I actually think you're right; and know what you mean.... :cool:

...this is why Betty's are so weird: because they do only have the two fixing points: one for the webbing attached to the inertia-reel mechanism, which the 'tongue' comes out of; and one for the webbing attached to the 'slot' this affixes to. :confused:

By the way: I can't imagine any other section of the Forum having such a nerdy discussion re seatbelts...! :D

I really don't know, and would like to say I don't care....... I don't in any meaningful sense, but sort of want to know now!! :nutter:

I am not sure if it helps, but anyway, here what it looks like in marbella, basically early mk1 panda I think? different positions of the seatbelt mounting points than in mk2 panda.

It has the upper mounts in the C pillars. It has the floor mounts for the seatbelt stalks. There appears to be a lower mount on the outer edge of the floor (going through the arch trim). However it does not seem to have anywhere to mount the intertia reel....

I am not sure if it helps, but anyway, here what it looks like in marbella, basically early mk1 panda I think? different positions of the seatbelt mounting points than in mk2 panda.

As you can see from this photo of Betty...

...she too has the upper mounting point on the C-pillar. However, on this photograph, you can't see if there are any points behind the panel for the lower inertia reel fixing. :confused:

The replacement panels do have the holes in them, though: so the big question is... are there actually mounting points behind these cutouts... -- VmanC...? :eek:

I seem to remember JimMagill saying that, if you needed longer seatbelts in the back (providing there are mounting points...), you can fit front ones in their place: the only difference being the length of webbing. Just a thought, aquamarine, if you're fitting a child seat or booster cushion, or need a bit more room.... :idea:

Last edited:
My Mk1 has mounting points in the C pillar and floor but nothing in the inner arch:confused: I find that a little odd as you couldn't even fit lap belts without those. No idea if there are points behind the trim cards in the boot area as I've never taken them off.

Curiouser and curiouser.... :confused:

We've got to remember, I suppose, that in the dim and distant past, rear seatbelts weren't compulsory; and maybe were only an option on the Mk1...? (My lack of knowledge doesn't go this far back, at least not on Pandas....) :idea:

No lower mounting points does seem peculiar, though -- especially as the upper ones are present.... :chin:

Curiouser and curiouser.... :confused:

We've got to remember, I suppose, that in the dim and distant past, rear seatbelts weren't compulsory; and maybe were only an option on the Mk1...? (My lack of knowledge doesn't go this far back, at least not on Pandas....) :idea:

No lower mounting points does seem peculiar, though -- especially as the upper ones are present.... :chin:

Have a look at the brochure in post 7 of the brochures sticky. Lovely clear photos of the rear belts in the Super. They are definitely the floaty reel version.

Tbh I'd contact those seatbelt suppliers and ask what the different fittings are like. As long as you can find one that fits whatever mountings you can find, it's a "proper job" (to be said in a Somerset type accent). (y)

Back