General mk1 punto sx overheating

Currently reading:
General mk1 punto sx overheating

casement60sx

Hello i have recently been experiencing my punto overheating badly i have replaced the thermostat on it and it still seems to overheat the cooling fans wont kick in either the temp guage rises to about 3/4 and i am worried what are the ways of solving this problem my mate suggested unblocking rad hoses as the top hose was stone cold but the bottom hose was warm i have bleed the system before in the punto but i cant remember how i did it i know that that their is two bleed nipples and no water came out of the one that is on the radiator HELP! reply asap

hi

could be the water pump ... the impellor could have a come off the pump ... but try the basic first ... ... then on to the heavy stuff ...if the water not circulating could be thermostat or the water pump .......... or could be a blockage in rad ....

good luck

puntosales ..

let us know

it cant be water pump i dont think cause the bottom hose was warm and water came out once we took pipe off

i have replaced the thermostat and i connected the top hose back up the top hose seemed to stay cold and the bottom hose was warm so i think it may be blocked rad or air lock

right i think i have solved it just bled the system the fan kicked in at a third past quarter is this normal i have yet to check and fill it back up yet :)

no i dont mean 3/4 i mean it was half way between quarter mark and half way mark and pressure tested i have pressure rad cap on it and would putting abit more water in the filler tube than max hurt the car ?

If its filled too far, air bubbles cant escape when bleeding the cooling system. If its run with too much coolant the excess will be blown out. Its ok to overfill a little but dont go mad.

If the heater is gurgling you have air bubbles which will damage the engine so bleed it properly and top up as needed.

Back