Technical mk1 punto sportin problems

Currently reading:
Technical mk1 punto sportin problems

sporting_Dan

Hello ppl got a mk1 punto sporting

it just come into winter and problems start ! lol

when i start my car up on a morning and set off the car bogs down in every gear, so i after let car warm up for 5 mins before going anywhere,
also if u rev it up once just started it miss fires, but once its warm it fine>?
any ideas?
is it choak not working right?

Also my heating system will not blow out warm air when i am stood still, i after be driving for it to be warm!? any ideas again?

Cheers inadvance

yer car bin serviced not long since with plugs and new HT leads, erm aint a clue wat it can be, only does it on first start of a morning

hmm maybe i will after change water in coolant system again

well i would have imagined i was done rite, i am going to redo it today and then see what happens al let you know later on...:bang:

i got exactly the same probs wiv my 1.6 8v an all its **** in this cold wether!!

vacuum advance possibly?? I had an air leak on a VW polo coupe I used to have, and when you tried to go anywhere in any gear with your foot any more than 50% throttle it would bog down and loose speed.
never found the actual leak (drove me mad) so I had to replace ALL the vacuum and breather pipes (I didn't know which was which), cost me about £8 as only had to buy about 2m of each size tubing (two sizes). engine looked tidier and sounded healthier and the problem was gone, it also idled a lot smoother and seemed to return much much better MPG (think 45-55mph rather than 35mpg).

**edit, not sure if a punto uses a vacuum advance as it runs on and ecu etc (polo was on SU carbs), so I may be talking SHT when relating to a punto!!

Hey jenna there a disaster these cars lol! bring on a VW golf! well i changed the water other day in it the heating system got better but its still not 100% warm on stand still, has for kangaroo on a morning still problem not know al after take it to a garage see if they can plug it in for me...:(

Kangarooing as in, jumping when you set off? Check for the oil breather outlet on your rocker cover, as there should be a pipe that goes to the Inlet that faster-tec was meaning i think? if so, it cant create the vacuum for the fuel and is kinda like getting a large hole in a hoover, it breathes too much

punto_jr_sx75 said:
Kangarooing as in, jumping when you set off? Check for the oil breather outlet on your rocker cover, as there should be a pipe that goes to the Inlet that faster-tec was meaning i think? if so, it cant create the vacuum for the fuel and is kinda like getting a large hole in a hoover, it breathes too much

is that the pipe that comes off original air box with a small pipe about 10 cms long and a 2cm thick? and if you pull it off rocker cover it has that like metal mesh in it? always covered in oil? or am i on about completely wrong thing>? guide me plz

Cant remember if it has mesh in it but, basically yes, check that isnt blocked or came off, as it creates a vacuum for the Throttle body, which in turn is monitored by the MAP sensor (i think this is still on the 16v engine) and converted into a reading for the ECU. I know on 1108 and 1242 8valves, if this is blocked/came off/ drawign air on like with a split etc, then they make the car idel very badly and can make it feel numb. Have you left your ECU off overnight? cant remember whilst im writing this - Its a problem of mine remembering these things - sorry :eek:

Could be a number if things. ht leads, spark plugs, coil packs, low compression due to high milage or the engine had a hard life, air leak, weak battery/alternator. all of which will be worse in the cold weather from start up. My cinq started doing this once it was about 5 years old-I just accepted it as the car getting old as it was fine when warm mind you I never used to rev it up till it was warm anyway.

Hey
i looked up about air breather pipe and it was the pipe i meantioned it did have a mesh inside, i have taken it out. and i started car and tested it this morning and it was better, but not 100% so tonight i am going to clean pipe out tonight ;) re test in morning
also this causes over heating aswell someone told me, oil heats up too much because it cant breathe

sporting_Dan said:
Hey
i looked up about air breather pipe and it was the pipe i meantioned it did have a mesh inside, i have taken it out. and i started car and tested it this morning and it was better, but not 100% so tonight i am going to clean pipe out tonight ;) re test in morning
also this causes over heating aswell someone told me, oil heats up too much because it cant breathe

Wow! I kinda helped! Awesome!

Let us know how you get on with the next test of cleaning it then

Hey i cleaned all air breather pipes out and car seems to be fine now, as for heating system not being warm when the car is stood i found out its the water pump, as the water pump is stood ,the pump isnt pumping the water around so the heating doesnt blow warm, so once you set off the cam belt turns the water pump, making it turn faster making warm air blow , so i got to get a replacement now, also i bleeded water again it worked first time and blowed warm air because all air was taken out of coolant system but left it a few hours and it when back dodgy cool air on stand still, the faulty water pump lets air back into coolant system so it plays up again...

Back