General MK1 Punto Lowering

Currently reading:
General MK1 Punto Lowering

PEZ1

A bit of advise wanted with regards lowering a mk1 punto. Its fitted with 16's and im just not sure how much i should lower it by. If any body has and any recommendations, pictures, or anything 2 help it would be appreciated.

Been browsing ebay and top of my list so far is a set of jamex springs (dont realy wonna spend mega bucks on shockers aswel as i hope to be changing in the next year or 2) any one have any good or bad experiances?

Any help would be great:)

I'm lowered 40mm on 16s, and this is what it looks like:

There are more pics in my gallery. If I were you, I'd go for 45mm front and 40mm back, it shouldn't give you any problems, maybe small amount of scrape under very heavy load.

Not upgrading the shocks will not give a great ride, but it's not the end of the world.

Anymore than 45mm/40mm is a bit inpractical, you'll just end up scraping bits like bumpers/oil sump are always favourites.

go 60mm :D (iv got some -60mm springs for a mk1 for sale btw ;):p)

here is a pic of my old gt lowered 60mm on 16's-

Image145-1.jpg
Image147.jpg

:cool:

Last edited:
go 60mm :D (iv got some -60mm springs for a mk1 for sale btw ;):p)

That gives you a slightly biased opinion though doesnt it :p

Ill bear it in mind once ive made my mind up. Did you have any problems with speed bumps etc? I honesly thought 60mm would need some work or scrape like a bastd.

I wondered whether it would be wise to lower more on the front that at the rear, certainly looks to be more room.

Thanks for the pics advise so far people (y)

I dont realy know if wheels are correct offset. They were bought brand new for the mk1 but needed spacers. They better be lol :p

and MATTMK1 that's a good lookin punto u got there (y) Thats probably the ride height i would want.

Thanks Pez, you have good taste :D ;)

Spacers can cause issues in the rear arch. If the wheels are say 6.5" wide, and you have 5mm spacers, the wheels will scrub against the rear arch inner lip under load. If you get this problem then you might need to cut out the inner lip, but this can be tricky.

If I were you, I'd go 45mm/40mm, imo it's the best balance (y)

Last edited:
IM 60mm on 15" with abarth kit on a mk1 with a gt lump and no rubbing 4 up but it doesnt do multi-car parks

Thanks for the advise people (y)

Think im guna go for 45mm front, 40mm rear. I'd bin wondering about lowering more on the front, as it does look slightly higher and I want to get the 'even' look...so cheers for clearing that up.

If it starts to scrub under load......they can fookin walk :devil:

Ive got a MK1 sporting, its got 16s on it with 40mm lowering springs, its a rough ride without uprated shocks but wont cause any problems. I might be changing mine because as MattMk1 said the front needs lowering more then the back, im looking at a 40rear/50front kit but 40/45 will look pretty good,

so yea, go for a 40/45mm kit, dont get a -60mm kit because u will find it will rub at times depending on people in the car and it wont to speed bumps or multi car parks very well

Mike

Last edited:
Springs now on order 45mmF, 40mmR :slayer:

I think i can put up with the rough ride, the roads in Sheffield are rough enough anyway....aslong as it doesnt put too much stress on the standard shockers.

Originaly i wanted to go 60mm but not if it means sacrificing my oil sump to the one of the hundred speed bumps around my area :mad:

Pics up shortly i hope (y)

Afternoon all

So turns out the place i was getting my springs from dont have any in stock at present....but decided to wait 4days to tell me....t0ssers:bang:

In the meantime speaking to a few people im getting the immpression that even a 45/40 drop will end up knackering my shockers very quickly?? Im keeping the car for another year or two so if im guna end up having to replace shockers before then, im thinking i might aswell plump for the full kit.

Is this likely to happen?

Is it worth the extra cost for the benefits you get from replacing with shortened shockers?

If i choose to replace with aftermarket shockers, might i aswell go for 50/40 springs instead.

Sorry to bore ya all with yet more questions, I just wonna get it right.(y)

Im droppin' mine 50 at the front and 35 at the back on 16"s :)

Last edited:
Taking the risk for a month, and then upgrading. I know it sounds really stupid, but im too impatient. lol. I found a set of springs on the net already. My girlfriends buying me them for my birthday :D

on my old punto i had 16's and gmax 60mm drop, it looked great, no scrapes, on my punto gt iv got 15's n a 70mm drop, n still no scrapes lol speed bumps are a nightmare tho lol :LOL:

on my old punto i had 16's and gmax 60mm drop, it looked great, no scrapes, on my punto gt iv got 15's n a 70mm drop, n still no scrapes lol speed bumps are a nightmare tho lol :LOL:

You must be a very careful driver :) lol. You say it was dropped 60mm, what was on the front? 40? i want my as low as i can go, but without the fear of scraping all the time.

and that didnt scrape? Hell! lol. I wana drop mine that much! lol. whered u get ur springs? :D

gmax springs 60mm drop (£60) and gmax shocks (front £35 each i fink) from MPC in Walsall, be advised iv neva had more then 1 person in the back tho.

Back