General MK1 Punto 85sx, induction,de-cat,chip questions.

Currently reading:
General MK1 Punto 85sx, induction,de-cat,chip questions.

I have a MK1 1.2 16v 85sx which I have just repaired from a write off and is at the MOT station at the mo.

If I was to relocate the battery to the boot this looks like it would give quite a straight path for a home made induction kit to go straight to the nearside headlamp.

If I was to do this and de-cat as well. On the standard ECU would it run lean because of more air going in and out and cause engine damage?

On the Cento forum alot of people talk about the 'Mcritch' (spelling?) chip. Does this alter timing and fuel pressure?

Does this 'chip' fit the Punto? Would it be wise to fit one?

Where do I get one?

I hope I havent got the wrong end of the stick with N/A tuning. I'm just going off the turbo magazines that I have read that say, if you put more air in you need more fuel or problems will occur.

With the 1242 16v motor. Has anyone stuck this head on a Stilo 1386 16v?

The reason I say swapping the head is because of all the electrical gubbins on the Stilo (fly by wire).

Could you put the MK1 Punto intake and exhaust manifolds onto a 1386 16v? Are all the sensors, intake and exhaust ports the same shape and size?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Nathan.

If I was to do this and de-cat as well. On the standard ECU would it run lean because of more air going in and out and cause engine damage?.

It shouldnt do. best thing to do is reset the ECU and drive it a few miles to allow the ECU to learn the best fueling/ignition for the new setup.

On the Cento forum alot of people talk about the 'Mcritch' (spelling?) chip. Does this alter timing and fuel pressure?

Does this 'chip' fit the Punto? Would it be wise to fit one?

only works for the 1.1 8v and 1.2 8v SPI im afraid.

I hope I havent got the wrong end of the stick with N/A tuning. I'm just going off the turbo magazines that I have read that say, if you put more air in you need more fuel or problems will occur.

Generally yes, but with NA, the amount and density of air entering the engine should be well within the existing setups limits for fueling. Only when you force induction and therefore push the amount of air entering the engine over the setups capabilities do you get problems with lean running etc.

You can have a N/A engine run lean on stantard ECU. If you increase the flow of the cylinderhead to its max potential. Thats if you have had the cylinderhead ported, polished and matched and adjustable pulleys and increase the valve overlap which creates a form of ram air because the exhuast gas flow out the engine so fast it causes a vacuum help to draw fresh air/fuel mix (sadly quite abit of fresh air/fuel is drawing down the exhaust. which gives nice pops and bang tho).

with the standard 2ltr 16v engine it's standard flow rate is about 136 cfm, if i raised the flow rate to about 150 - 160 cfm (max potential) with standard ECU, injectors and fuel pressure regulator you will find it starting to lean out at high RPM.

But this can be monitored with a AFR meter

Back