General Mk1 fuel rail connections

Currently reading:
General Mk1 fuel rail connections

panda-sport

Essex Panda's R Us
I'm fitting a 1242 16v from a mk1 punto 85 into my car. Can anyone tell me if the top connection is the fuel return and the lower fuel in, or tother way round? :eek: cheers Damon

Cheers arc, but your talking to a thicky here :eek:

Some pics of the rail

P1010007.JPG

P1010008.JPG

cheers Damon

I'm fitting a 1242 16v from a mk1 punto 85 into my car. Can anyone tell me if the top connection is the fuel return and the lower fuel in, or tother way round? :eek: cheers Damon

I've just taken delivery of a 16v engine to pop in my punto...

I must admit I can see your problem...the fuel rail doesn't give a hint as to which one could be the feed. I've checked the Haynes and that's really unhelpful. Just points towards the 2 lines saying feed and return with no indication as to where they should go :confused: .

I'll dig out the workshop dvd later and see what I can see - if its as useful as Haynes, nothing!
At a guess I'd go with the straight feed in but, it could be the angled one.... :chin:

Cheers arc, but your talking to a thicky here :eek:

Some pics of the rail

View attachment 22542

View attachment 22543

cheers Damon

Looking at the picture the fuel rail on that engine is exactly the same as mine, just remove the fuel lines (squeeze the tabs together and pull) they will only go back one way, It's impossible to get them wrong. I thought the same thing as you before disconnecting mine.

The top line (i think is inlet) has a male pushfit connector, and the bottom one (return i believe) has a female connection.

However it does state in the haynes that only the more recent 16v engines had this fool proof pushfit setup, so some of the older engines may be easy to confuse.

Last edited:
Looking at the picture the fuel rail on that engine is exactly the same as mine, just remove the fuel lines (squeeze the tabs together and pull) they will only go back one way, It's impossible to get them wrong. I thought the same thing as you before disconnecting mine.

The top line (i think is inlet) has a male pushfit connector, and the bottom one (return i believe) has a female connection.

However it does state in the haynes that only the more recent 16v engines had this fool proof pushfit setup, so some of the older engines may be easy to confuse.

Thanks I need this info too :)

just remove the fuel lines (squeeze the tabs together and pull) they will only go back one way, It's impossible to get them wrong.

cheers, trouble is my engine is out of a scrap car and if I'd used a wide-angle lense on that photo you would see the other end of those lines where they have been cut. The car this is going in does not have this type of connector.

I looked at the pics on eper but it uses the 1242 8v pic as they have the same lines as the 16v, however the flow arrows on this match your thinking.

cheers again Damon

cheers, trouble is my engine is out of a scrap car and if I'd used a wide-angle lense on that photo you would see the other end of those lines where they have been cut. The car this is going in does not have this type of connector.

I looked at the pics on eper but it uses the 1242 8v pic as they have the same lines as the 16v, however the flow arrows on this match your thinking.

cheers again Damon

Yeh usually a male end from any tank is flow, and female is return (i actually learn't that at work :eek: lol).

Glad i could help anyway :) and good luck fitting the engine :)

Back